Former atheist: conversion to Christianity make sense of life

I am, to say the least, a little perturbed at Lawrence Allen’s letter in Monday’s paper. It seems to me that Allen is attempting to compose a satirical response to Burbank by mocking not only everything he had to say but also Western religion as a whole.

I will admit that I don’t agree with the protesters’ so-called right to camp out on private property 24 hours a day, and at this point I’m pretty sure we can all appreciate a little humor concerning the protesters. That doesn’t mean that I would write something so condescending or offensive about it.

This is not humor. No matter how you meant it, I do not find it funny in the slightest. In fact it’s disgusting how you use religion as a vehicle for the mockery of protesters when there’s no reason for it.

If that wasn’t bad enough, you went as far as criticizing “the gay ones.” It doesn’t matter what kind of response you’re trying to get — when you say something like, “If enough of us sincerely repent our sins (especially the gay ones),” you’re not going to make any fans. It’s offensive not only to people of all sexualities, but also to those who follow religion.

Religion is a very touchy subject in modern society and it seems like those who do have a particular belief are criticized and even judged because of what they believe. Wonder why? It’s because of people like you who feel it’s right to bring topics like this to the table and use them in a manner that suggests there’s something wrong with believing in a higher power.

I’m curious as to what you meant by, “The ultimate capitalist, Jesus Christ.” Are you suggesting that Christianity is a form of free market whose purpose is to generate goods and services for profit in the current market system? If so, you see Christianity as most Pre-Socratics saw the world: very two-dimensional. I don’t know if you are aware, but there is much more to religion than what meets the eye.

I know I’ll get flak for this but I’m strong in my beliefs, and I honestly don’t care what you have to say. Becoming a Christian was the best thing that has ever happened to me, next to falling in love with my fiancée. I found a new life and all of a sudden everything seemed like it made sense. Keep in mind that I was an atheist before this happened 2 or 3 months ago. I felt that up until then I knew everything there was to know and since I felt strong in my knowledge, there was no need for religion. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

So before you write about the crazy sinner hippies in the park, next time you should consider how others will view your words and let that guide you as far as who or what you criticize.

Michael Sandoval
UNM student