Daily Lobo Staff

The Setonian
News

ICYMI: Summer Coverage Collection

With 6 new people on staff and summer classes in full swing, the Daily Lobo has spent the summer in the newsroom writing stories. Below is a sampling of some of the work that has gone out in the Daily Lobo email newsletter this summer. 

News Editor Madison Spratto and Editor-in-Chief Elizabeth Sanchez embrace at the Daily Lobo's end of the year barbecue at the Albuquerque Press Club, April 28, 2018. 
Opinion

Daily Lobo: We are not the enemy of the people

Dear President Trump, It’s clear you hold quite the disdain for the media. While this is not uncommon for people in your position, the level of ferocity that you have shown has gone far beyond simple critiques. Even after five journalists were gunned down in their own newsroom by a man who did not agree with their coverage of him, you stated publicly that those in the media are “the enemy of the people.”

High school soccer players came to protest the announcement that the UNM's men's soccer team was on the chopping block for the Board of Regents on July 19, 2018.
News

Regents approve recommendation to cut four sports

Boos and jeers rang out as the Board of Regents unanimously approved a proposal by the Athletic Department to eliminate four sports from the University of New Mexico. The sports included Men's Soccer, Women's Beach Volleyball, the diving portion of Women's Swimming & Diving, and both Men and Women's Skiing. Track and Field is also receiving a sizable reduction in athletes, but will remain a sport at the University. The decision affects a total of 63 athletes and was made, in part, due to struggles the Athletic Department has had with finances and Title IX compliance.

The Setonian
News

LoboAlert: Non-student sexually assaulted on campus

A LoboAlert was distributed to the University community late Tuesday evening, warning of a sexual assault of a non-student that occured on Johnson Field. The incident occured at 11:30 p.m., according to the alert, and involved a male identified as being Native American, 5'8" and weighing between 160 and 170 pounds. The alert goes on to describe him as being in his late 20s, and wearing a gray beanie, black T-shirt with white lettering and a backpack.

News

UNM Regents to discuss possible suspension and termination of University president

University administration announced Sunday afternoon that UNM Regents will meet in a closed session on Wednesday to discuss "whether to place President Robert G. Frank on administrative leave with pay pending completion of an internal investigation." The notice of the private deliberations also goes on to hint at a possible more ominous ending for Frank's tenure, stating that there will be "possible action" to provide Frank "with notice of proposed termination for just cause."

The Setonian
News

Daily Lobo newsroom broken into, camera stolen

The Daily Lobo newsroom was broken into sometime between 7:00 p.m. Thursday evening and early Friday morning, resulting in the theft of $700 worth of equipment. An individual or individuals entered the Daily Lobo – located in Marron Hall – through the window of the editor-in-chief’s office after breaking the window, causing glass to litter the room. The stolen items are a D300 Nikon camera with a 35-70 millimeter lens, a 2 GB memory card that was in the camera, and a camera bag that contained some microphone cables.

The Setonian
News

Pathology professor, Innovate ABQ leader recognized as recipients of Presidential Award of Distinction

In his weekly University-wide communique, UNM President Bob Frank announced this year's honorees of the Presidential Award of Distinction, recognizing a pair individuals who have made an impact in two very different facets of the University. Terry Laudick, one of the honorees, is currently the president and CEO of Nusenda Credit Union, according to Frank's communique, and also sits on the Board of Directors for STC.UNM, an arm of the University devoted to fostering local economic growth with the institution's involvement.

News

Wolf Tracks 3: Anti-Trump Protest

On this week's episode of the podcast, we'll be talking about the recent anti-Trump protest in Albuquerque, where hundreds of people stopped traffic all over town for over six hours, ending in a showdown with dozens of riot police. We sit down with some of our reporters and photographers who were on the ground with the protesters.

More articles »