Campus News In Brief

A variety of groups are sponsoring a forum on distance education Wednesday at 1 p.m. in room 123 of Dane Smith Hall.

The forum will feature a panel that includes Mark Smith, a representative from the American Association of the University Professors Committee on Distance Education and Intellectual Property; UNM associate anthropology professor Robert Leonard; and Richard Howell of UNM’s Extended University. Robert Bienstock, a representative to the University Counsel’s office, will also attend the forum.

The forum was organized by the UNM chapter of the American Association of University Professors, UNM Faculty Organizing Committee and UNM’s Extended University. The groups plan to discuss the best use of distance education technology and UNM’s policy on distance education.

The group also plans to discuss whether faculty members developing distance-education technology determine course enrollment, content and standards; own the teaching material they create; and receive adequate technical support and workload credit.

The forum is free and open to the public, and the sponsors are encouraging members of the UNM faculty and research staff to attend.

For more information, contact professor Hugh Witemeyer at 277-2415.

The Anderson Schools of Management is opening its classroom doors to the public twice in March for its Executive Speakers Series.

“The Executive Speakers Series is an important way for us to share the resources of The Anderson Schools with business leaders in the community interested in staying in touch with the latest issues,” Dean Howard L. Smith said in a press release.

The next lecture in the series is slated for Thursday from 12:30-1:45 p.m. in the Anderson Schools of Management, Room 1064. It features Monica Hussey of Honeywell. She will speak to the students in a seminar on quality management.

Hussey, a human resource specialist, focuses her efforts on organizational effectiveness. She will be sharing her professional experience and lessons with regard to individual and team contributions to organizations.

“Her work is a direct reflection on issues of quality and she will bring a dynamic perspective that’s applicable to any organization,” professor Steven Yourstone said in a press release. Yourstone is the faculty member who teaches the course Hussey will be attending.

For more information, call 277-6264.

The Graduate and Professional Student Association is sponsoring a forum on graduate student financial aid Thursday from 2-3:30 p.m. in the Waters Room of Zimmerman Library.

Speakers include Ronald Martinez, Student Financial Aid director; Kathleen O’Keefe, Student Financial Aid associate director; and Edwina Chavez Salazar, Office of Graduate Studies financial aid coordinator.

Call 277-3803 for more information.

A representative from the New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union will give a financial management seminar at 5:30 p.m. in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Student Services Building, room 114. For more information, call 277-5403.