Physicist to discuss UFOs

Former Roswell investigator to speak on campus tonight

Nuclear physicist Stanton T. Friedman said he will show evidence of a "cosmic Watergate" during his presentation "Flying Saucers are Real" tonight at the Kiva Lecture Hall at 7 p.m.

Friedman said he is the original civilian investigator for the 1947 Roswell incident and that the U.S. military covered up the wreckage and alien bodies found in the alleged crash.

He said military officials lied about the UFO by saying that the craft was a mogul balloon and the alien bodies were crash test dummies.

Friedman said the government didn't start dropping crash test dummies until 1953 and that none were dropped in the Roswell area. He said the alien bodies are probably at Wright Patt Air Force Base in Ohio, but may have been in New Mexico for a while.

Friedman said he was a nuclear physicist under national security for 14 years and worked on creating nuclear power plants, nuclear aircraft and nuclear rockets for deep space travel. He has lectured at more than 600 colleges and has published more than 75 papers on unidentified flying objects.

Friedman said he has never seen a flying saucer and doesn't need to see one to know that they exist.

"I've never seen Tokyo either - but it's there," he said.

Friedman said he also will speak about our local cosmic neighborhood and the abduction of Betty and Barney Hill, who allegedly saw unidentified flashing lights whiz by their car while driving in New Hampshire in 1961. He said the couple experienced two hours of time lapse, and, after weeks of hypnotism, their testimony of on-board abduction emerged.

Friedman said Betty was able to reproduce the star map that her alien abductors showed her to explain where they came from. He added that a scientist later reproduced the same map in a three dimensional form - indicating that the aliens probably came from planets surrounding two stars in our galaxy that are 1 billion years older than the sun, 37 light years away from the sun and less than one light year apart from each other. Friedman said he will show the star map during his presentation.

Friedman said he is convinced that some people have been abducted by aliens, but that he takes all cases with a grain of salt.

"I'm a nasty guy," he said. "I check on people's credentials."

Friedman received his bachelor's and master's degrees in physics from the University of Chicago in 1955 and 1956. He is the author of Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO and TOP SECRET/MAJIC and said he will sign his books after the show.

He now lives in Fredericton, New Brunswick in Canada and is a member of the board of the Mutual UFO Network, an international scientific organization that studies UFOs.

Friedman said he usually asks his audiences about their UFO experiences after his presentations, and people often respond with a variety of interesting stories.

"The question-and-answer period usually goes on until the janitor kicks us out," he said.