Novel hits on KKK's influence

Semi-historical mystery sometimes unlikely, but fun

What would you do if the Ku Klux Klan surfaced in your town?

Sybil Downing addresses that question in her semi-historical mystery novel "The Binding Oath," which is about the Klan gathering a strong following in 1920s Denver, Colo. Downing's main character is a female reporter for the Denver Post who uncovers a murderous plot by the Klan to oust the district attorney and place its own candidate in office for maximum control over the city.

Downing's heroine, reporter Liz O'Brien, is a bit unlikely in historical perspective, but she gets the job done. Downing portrays a reporter perfectly. O'Brien is always sticking her nose where it shouldn't be and asks every question imaginable when she meets Denver's Klan Grand Dragon at his press conference.

Set in post-World War I, the novel captures the Ku Klux Klan revival and its second most powerful political uprising, which occurred in the aftermath of the war and was led by William Simmons. Downing zeroes in on the Klan's malevolent presence in Colorado, but the main point of her book is the defeat of the Klan uprising through O'Brien's sneaky tactics.

Downing said O'Brien was not based on an actual reporter, but she wanted a newspaper involved in the story. Though mostly accurate, Downing adds a few things that are hard to swallow throughout the book. O'Brien's character is, indeed, very uncharacteristic of the 1920s.

Downing portrays the reporter as independent as any women today and she draws upon contemporary issues, including that she is paid considerably less than her male co-workers. Perhaps the only exception was that O'Brien was not taken seriously as a reporter.

O'Brien has a steady boyfriend who comes over and sleeps with her on a regular basis, with both of them being very indiscreet - something most definitely frowned upon then. O'Brien lives by herself, even though she sometimes takes in renters - another social faux pas at the time.

Perhaps women did have a degree of independence in 1920, especially with their newly recognized right to vote, but it was certainly not so pronounced. The book is peppered with historical inaccuracies, but the crux of the story is genuine. Downing doesn't downplay the Klan's political manipulation or deadly methods, such as when a Jew who rented a room from O'Brien was beaten almost to death.

Crooked cops play a large part, as well. In the '20s, prohibition was in full swing and bad cops were on the take everywhere. It wasn't surprising that Downing made the two bad detectives actual Klan members.

Downing also includes the actual Ku Klux Klan oath and prayer, leaving a strong and creepy impression on the reader.

"God save our Nation and help us to be a nation worthy of existence on earth. Keep ablaze in each Klansman's heart the sacred fire of a devoted patriotism to our country and its government ."

Downing quoted both the oath and the prayer from Wyn Craig Wade's "The Fiery Cross: The Ku Klux Klan in America."

Downing's story, though predictable in places, is a good read for fans of historical fiction and mysteries. Anyone who wants to purchase a copy of "The Binding Oath" can order it at her Web site, www.sybildowning.com.