Americans should pay reparations

We have seen many examples in the last couple of weeks from people who do not believe in reparations to African-Americans. As a New Mexican whose grandfather was full-blooded Native American, I thank all those who did not feel the same way when reparations were made to the tribes.

I believe that a majority of society felt that what had happened to the tribes was morally, ethically and socially wrong. That is why, to this day, Native American are paid retribution for the genocide that was committed against them.

While many of the tribes have continued to be kept as second-class citizens, national admission of responsibility for the Native American situation were offered.

I believe that the situation that faces modern African-Americans is just as much our responsibility. The genocide and abuse that African-American ancestors endured for hundreds of years is inexcusable, and we have to admit that many of us are well off because of the hard work and blood that was given by these slaves.

Native Americans and African-Americans are the two major groups of individuals who are in a seemingly hopeless situation from no fault of their own. Native American ancestors were here. African-Americans ancestors did not get to make the choice to allow us to bring them here.

African-Americans face national prejudice. Most of America might not openly verbally abuse these individuals like they used to, but I know that many still crack jokes behind closed doors. I know that many still see an African-American and think that they might be up to no good. These are mechanisms of racism!

We have to admit that that the situation that African-Americans exist in is society's fault. To excuse this situation as a result of our ancestors and to pass the blame on those that are now dead is ridiculous.

As a person who has worked within the state welfare programs for more than seven years, I have seen the system is prejudiced. I also have realized that no government welfare program has ever been funded effectively enough to really combat poverty.

We need to create some other source of funding to initialize a sense of equality. If individuals are put in a situation to have to take handouts, they will lose the self-respect that they have.

There is an innate difference between welfare and reparations, in that I feel that reparations are like a reward for being who you are instead of a token of welfare that negatively labels individuals as being a burden on society.

I am ready to admit that I am a better person and that our country is in a better place because of the hard work that was given to us by the ancestors of modern African-Americans. Are you?

Jeremy Toulouse,

Political Science Student