Career Services to open satellite office in Farris

New location aimed at serving engineering students

In an effort to reach more students, UNM Career Services is opening a satellite office in room 117 of Farris Engineering Center.

Career Services and the School of Engineering will celebrate the opening of the new office today at 11:15 a.m. with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“This is the first time Career Services will be venturing out of the Student Services Center, and we’re happy that they’ll be working with the School of Engineering,” said Deborah Dobson, development specialist for the School of Engineering. “We expect that representatives will be at the school one or two days a week, making themselves more accessible to engineering students.”

Dobson said the new office will make it easier for engineering students looking for jobs to work with Career Services.

“It will allow the University to be more in tune with students’ needs,” she said. “The dean of engineering really wanted this to happen and wanted to help students be on the forefront of job opportunities. We’re really excited about it.”

Leslye A. Ellison, director of Career Services, said the goal of the expansion is to make her department more proactive by being present in students’ space.

“We hope to eventually be in or near, in some shape or form, each of the colleges of the University so we can provide services for students in a comfortable environment,” she said.

Ellison described Career Services as a centralized, one-stop-shop to help students decide what they want to be when they grow up.

“It basically translates to helping students choose a major; get internships, co-ops and jobs; and learn the skills they need to be competitive,” she said. “Those skills include preparation for job interviews, learning how to build rÇsumÇs and how to identify potential employers.”

She said Career Services first expanded to the School of Engineering because the majority of prospective employers working with the University are interested in recruiting engineering or business students, and the Anderson Schools of Management already has a placement office.

“We have met with other deans and have plans with them that will mirror what we are starting with the School of Engineering,” she said.

Ellison said ideally students should stop by Career Services their freshman year to get to know what programs are available and develop a plan for success.

“When I was student, I waited so long that I thought, ‘Forget it, I’m too late,’ but students can come by at anytime — it’s never too late,” she said.

The normal Career Services office is on the second floor of the Student Services Center in room 220, and advisers can meet with students with and without appointments. For more information, contact Career Services at 277-2531.