Sleep essential to healthy lifestyle

Student Health Center Columnist

Sleep is one of the most understated aspects of wellness. Research is empirically demonstrating how critical sound and regular sleep is to health, mental alertness and staying even-tempered.

Dr. William Dement has shown in his research that when one’s body does not get the needed seven to eight hours of sleep per night, the body registers a sleep debt. Accumulated debt increases the probability of daytime sleepiness, lowered productivity, a tendency to be angry or violent, injuries and premature death.

University students are known for their inconsistent sleep patterns. “Burning the midnight oil” one night and sleeping for 14 hours the next day plays havoc with one’s circadian rhythms. It is not possible to erase one’s sleep debt by extending the next night’s sleep.

Some recent research from the University of Chicago has demonstrated that accumulated sleep debt may lead to serious conditions that compromise one’s health such as obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure. Even in young, healthy individuals, the Chicago researchers found evidence that sleep debt accumulated over a week compromised metabolic and endocrine functioning. Inadequate sleep also altered cognitive functioning important to being a successful student such as memory, critical thinking and mental alertness. Immune systems also were adversely affected.

Helpful tips for getting yourself on a routine of good sleep include:

l Establishing a sleep routine with the same time daily for going to bed and getting up in the morning.

l Sleeping in a room that is cool, dark and quiet.

l Using a white noise box or a relaxation tape to help you sleep if noises disturb you

l Avoiding stimulants such as coffee, soft drinks and alcohol several hours before sleep.

l Doing a relaxing, quiet activity such as reading, a warm bath or listening to soothing music shortly before going to bed.

l Set aside a brief amount of time to worry daily, and when the time is up, stop worrying and go on with your daily tasks.

Good sleep, just like a good diet, regular exercise and supportive friends and family, is an essential ingredient to a healthy lifestyle.

Carol Wagner-Adams received her bachelor’s degree from State University of New York at Oswego, master’s degree from Ohio University and doctorate from Indiana State University. She is a licensed psychologist and the manager of Counseling and Therapy Services at the Student Health Center.