Bulldozers reign throughout campus

Security to be increased for Aug. 4 planned outage

-Staff Report

Bulldozers continue to reign at UNM as a variety of prominent construction projects are well under way.

In addition to ongoing construction in the heart of the main campus, which includes the Student Union Building renovation, numerous other projects are forcing changes in traffic patterns.

A utility power outage for all of the main campus, facility planning, physics, physical plant and the north chilled water plant is planned for Aug. 4 and is expected to last for 24 hours.

Students and researchers dependent upon electricity for their experiments should keep in mind that the outage will affect their experiments unless their departments have backup generators. Administrators also recommend that all computers and servers be protected before the power goes out.

A high level of security will be visible on campus during the outage. Campus police will require identification from anyone entering campus facilities. For safety and security reasons, everyone should stay away from the campus during the outage unless absolutely necessary.

Cornell Mall will be messy, as the domestic water project will lay new water lines down the mall. Work in the area is expected to run through Aug. 8. The domestic water system project started on June 25 and will continue for 240 days. The initial phase started on Redondo Drive.

Phase one runs from Marron Hall and goes east to Johnson Center. Curbside parking is prohibited in and near the project zone. Future phases include all of Redondo Drive, Las Lomas Road, Campus Boulevard, Redondo Court, Cornell Mall, Terrace Mall, part of Yale Boulevard by Dane Smith Hall and the perimeter of Scholes Hall.

The north lane on Campus Boulevard from Girard to Redondo will be re-paved beginning July 30. The south lane will carry one lane in each direction of traffic. The project is expected to last three weeks and should end by Aug. 21.

The north end of the parking lot between biology and just west of geology will be excavated, re-graded and resurfaced. The west half of the lot will be done first, then the east part. This will allow half of the lot to be open each time work is being done. The project is expected to run from July 30 to Aug. 20.

The access road from the bus stop at Yale to the parking lot north of Zimmerman Library will be closed July 30 to Aug. 13 for re-paving. The parking lot will be accessible most of the time.

The Bandelier and anthropology parking lot, which is a B permit zone, will be closed until Aug. 21. Beginning today, a new sanitary sewer line is needed to correct the backed up effluent from Bandelier. The new sewer line will cross diagonally across the parking lot between Bandelier and the northwest corner of Ford Utilities Center. The project will last about three weeks.

Parking lot traffic will be rerouted by limiting entry and exit traffic to only the north side of the lot. Cars will not be allowed to loop through the parking lot during the construction of the new sewer line.

When work is completed on the south half of the lot, traffic into and out of the parking lot will flow from the south side of the lot. Again, traffic will not be able to loop the lot.

The B permit parking zone south of Bandelier Hall has been reduced by 63 parking spaces because of construction on the Hibben Center for Archaeological Research.

The number of available parking spaces in the lot will be reduced during and after the construction project.