Arts in Brief

Attention Dancers! The 2001 Taos Dance Festival opens Friday and runs through Sept. 1. The festival includes introductory and advanced classes, as well as various recitals and shows. Tickets are available at ®QuÇ Pasa? Music, 338 Paseo del Pueblo Sur Rd. and for credit card purchases, call 758-2052. All events will take place at the Angelada’s building, on the corner of Kit Carson and Witt Roads, unless otherwise noted

***

Etta James & The Roots Band will be performing Sunday at Midnight Rodeo, 4901 McLeod Rd. NE. Tickets run at $35 for general admission, $40 for silver and $45 for gold and are available at Ticketmaster by calling 883-7800. For more information, call 256-3061.

***

For all of you who have been craving a good French play, The Albuquerque Little Theater, 224 San Pasquale Ave. SW will present Moliere’s comedy, “The Miser.” The play opens on Wednesday and runs through Aug. 26. Tickets are $16 for adults, $13 for seniors and $11 for students and are available by calling 242-4750.

***

The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center will present the Oak Canyon Dancers from Jemez Pueblo along with artist-demonstrator Pat Pacheco from Laguna Pueblo on Wednesday and Thursday. The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center is at 2401 12th St. NW. For more information call, 843-7270.

***

The John Sommer’s Gallery in UNM’s New Art Building will present “Loci,” an installation of the work of UNM Fine Art’s student Jeanette Hart. The installation will be open from Tuesday to Friday, with a reception on Wednesday from 4-7 p.m. For more information, call 277-5861.

***

The National Hispanic Cultural Center will hold readings by Rosemary Armijo, author of “La Hija de Juan Gallegos,” and Felipe Gonzales, author of “Recess is not Forever,” on Saturday at 3 p.m. in its lecture hall. The National Hispanic Cultural Center is at 1701 Fourth St. SW. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 246-2261.

***

The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science will hold Dr. Fabian Michelangeli’s lecture “Natural History of the Tepuis: Geology, Plants and Animals of the Lost World” on Thursday at 7 p.m. The presentation will also include a screening of the Dynatheater film “Lost Worlds: Life in the Balance.” Tickets are $5 for members, $7 for general admission and children 3-12 are half price. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 841-2801. The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science is at 1801 Mountain Rd. NW, near Old Town.