University earns AAA award

COSAP earns recognition for designated driver program

The UNM’s Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention received a $1,000 check and an award from the AAA of New Mexico on Tuesday for its designated drivers program.

Despite microphone difficulties, representatives were able to receive the award during a small ceremony at the Duck Pond and give out information on their “UNM Designated Drivers Do It for Friends” program.

“With over 175 students signed up for the program and even more signed up today, our program is making significant strides to curb drunk driving,” said Program Manager Anne Yeagley.

More than 40 percent of UNM students in a recent survey said they had been drinking and driving in the past 30 days, according to a press release from AAA of New Mexico. Last year, 2,681 people were injured in accidents involving alcohol in New Mexico.

The designated driver program, which began last year, is a collaborative effort with 17 bars and restaurants in Albuquerque that offer incentives for program members.

Designated drivers get free non-alcoholic drinks at participating establishments, Yeagley said, and do not have to pay cover charges at some bars. When members have special cards stamped three times, COSAP gives them two free movie passes and enters them in a Las Vegas vacation drawing.

“Our hope for the designated driver program is for groups to have a routine of selecting a designated driver before going out,” Yeagley said.

“We are honored that UNM received this award and are proud of COSAP in getting the UNM community involved,” said Eliseo Torres, vice president of Student Affairs.

The annual award is available in four states that participate in the program.

“COSAP’s program received this award because they are doing a wonderful job in easing the DWI problem in New Mexico,” said Brenda Yager, AAA of New Mexico public and government affairs director.