College Republicans chairwoman supports home schooling, environment

Sarah Hunt, chairwoman of the UNM College Republicans, said being raised as a home-schooled student played a major role in her political interests.

"My parents were part of a group of people across the country that worked to make home schooling legal because they thought it was good for their families," she said. "I got involved in politics because that was an issue that impacted me and my family."

Hunt said students at UNM should participate in the political process because they are affected by the issues.

Hunt, a junior majoring in political science, has completed five internships - the first starting when she was in high school in Annapolis, Md. Since then, she's interned for the National Center for Home Education, U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson, the Heritage Foundation and was a volunteer coordinator for Bill Redmond's Senate campaign.

"Right now, I'm working with Educate New Mexico to establish a parental resource center in the South Valley, and I've done a lot of work in the home-schooling community," she said.

She added that being active in the College Republicans is a great way for students to get internships.

Hunt, a University honors student at UNM, earned a Dorothy Klein Scholarship from the Political Science Department. She also earns scholarship money by competing in the Miss America Pageant. She is the reigning Miss Rio Rancho and was last year's Miss Northern New Mexico.

"Being in the Miss America system really affirms me in my femininity," she said. "It's a great experience."

Hunt said she moved with her family to New Mexico from Maryland about three years ago because of her father's job.

Her father, Bill, is an engineer, and her mother, Kathleen, is a homemaker. Both parents were schoolteachers at one time, she said. Sarah, a theater minor, teaches children's classes through the Theatre Department and writes for the Daily Lobo culture section.

She said the College Republicans enjoy attending football and basketball games, organizing campus events, such as a recent mayoral forum, and sponsoring speakers, including a recent visit by State Speaker of the House John Sanchez.

"We're trying to open up the University community to Republican ideas by bringing in speakers that espouse those principles and can communicate them eloquently," she said.

"We also work on various projects. Right now we're looking into adopting a highway. You know, Republicans actually do care about the earth. I'm a Republican, for instance, who likes to be able to breathe. So, we're interested in getting out and working to clean up the community and help preserve the environment."

Hunt said she wants to work on getting more students involved with the group.

"My goal this year is to get the word out," she said. "Last year, we went from eight members to 60 members in the spring semester and this year in the first week of this semester, we went from those 60 members to well over 130 members."

In her spare time, Hunt enjoys water-color painting, playing with her siblings, ages 3, 6 and 7, reading plays, biographies and political histories, and exchanging ideas.

She said that in the future, she is considering going to law school but is also interested in pursuing a master's degree in public policy. She said she has thought about running for a New Mexico legislative seat.

"I really want to make a positive impact on this state," she said.

Hunt said that any student involvement at UNM is beneficial because it gives a voice to student interests.

The College Republicans meet Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in Room 127 of Dane Smith Hall.