Fair to host University Day

UNM to offer activities and information at State Fair

More than 70 UNM booths will be featured during University Day at the New Mexico State Fair Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The participants include the College Advisement Center, Continuing Education/Extended University, KNME-TV, School of Engineering, UNM Hospital, UNM Theatre and Dance Department and UNM Press.

UNM will celebrate the Route 66 Diamond Jubilee with its theme "UNM: The Destination for Education on the Route and at the Fair."

The Office of Equal Opportunity table will have Route 66 trivia, and the Wemagination Center and Recreational Services will offer interactive activities. A '50s movie star look-a-like contest and the Classic Chevy Club of Albuquerque will highlight the activities, which are on Main Street.

Fairgoers can check out the 2001 Formula SAE racecar at the UNM School of Engineering table or can stop by the UNM Continuing Education Booth for a chair massage. Staff with information about scholarships, UNM support services and career opportunities will be on hand.

The UNM Cancer Research and Treatment Center's booth will feature Dale Mason, the first female Legends car driver to win at the local Sandia Motorsports Park. Mason will greet fairgoers and show off her winning car.

The College of Nursing booth will provide health assessments such as blood pressure checks, glucose monitoring and risk appraisals. An information session on simulation technologies used to teach health care providers will be offered at the Basic Advanced Trauma Computer Assisted Virtual Experience booth.

UNM Public Affairs will host a "Meet the Press" booth featuring members of local and statewide media, including Larry Barker of KOAT-TV, Channel 7.

Entertainment is scheduled for Coca-Cola Pavilion throughout the day. The South Broadway Cultural Center Ambassadors Children's Mariachi Group will perform at 12:45 p.m. At 1 p.m., UNM President Bill Gordon, New Mexico State Fair Commission Chairman Thomas Tinnin and Joe Diaz, KOAT-TV Channel 7 meteorologist, and UNM athletes and the Spirit Squad with Lobo Louie and Lucy will greet people.

Staff Report