UNM sponsors linguistic event

Baugh to deliver free lecture in Ortega Hall Friday

Scholars from around the world will work to tear down linguistic barriers during a conference at UNM this weekend.

The Linguistic Association of the Southwest’s 30th annual conference titled, “Language: Use and Structure.”

“The turnout every year has been substantial and increases every year,” said Garland Bills, conference organizer and UNM professor emeritus of linguistics. “With a new venue every year, scholars from abroad have a chance to see the diversity that exists in every situation.”

Bills also said that many delegates are flying despite the increase of security measures nationwide following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the East Coast. Bills said that one scholar, Nydia Flores, from the University of New York, may have problems attending because her home was one block away from the World Trade Center.

During the conference, 90 selected individuals will present their papers. The individuals had to submit an abstract outlining their research. Mary Ellen Garcia, of the University of Houston, chaired the selection committee.

“The representation that UNM has is as vast as the scholars attending the conference,” Bills said.

Some will discuss barriers that remain in the Spanish and English language and a handful of speeches will be given in Spanish.

“Many of the papers tend to be linguistically-oriented, but some are socially-oriented,” Bills said.

Guests of honor include Pamela Munro of the University of California at Los Angeles and John Baugh of Stanford University.

Baugh is known throughout the country for his studies of language among minority students, according to his Web site. He will deliver his speech, “Educational Malpractice and the Sociopolitical Concerns of Language Minority Students,” Friday at 11:50 a.m. in Room 335 of Ortega Hall. Baugh’s speech is free and open to the UNM community.

Bills said that Baugh’s presentation addresses the effects of Proposition 227, which severely limits bilingual education in California.

“LASSO is a unique conference, owing substantially to the excellent scholars who host the event, as well as members who are particularly sensitive to matters of linguistic and educational diversity in the Southwest,” said Baugh. “I am honored by the invitation to share my research on the subject.”

Baugh said he appreciates the vast linguistic heritage that thrives throughout New Mexico.

The conference will be in various rooms in Ortega Hall. People can register for the conference until Friday on the third floor of Ortega Hall. The fee is $45 for regular registration and $25 for student registration.