Brothers follow football dream

Konte seniors shuffled back and forth overseas through high school

Football is just a game, but for the Konte brothers, it is a passion that could not be ignored.

Mohammed and Sulayman knew what they wanted, which was to play Division I football. Despite not having played high school football, the seniors used hard work and determination to play in college. Now the two former walk-ons are major contributors to the UNM football team.

Sulayman, 22, is a backup fullback and Mohammed, 23, is the starting middle linebacker and captain for the Lobos.

“They are a success story,” head coach Rocky Long said. “They proved through hard work that if you set out to achieve something, there is no reason why you cannot achieve it.”

The Eldorado High School graduates were not able to play much football growing up because of their upbringing, although Mohammed played YAFL as a youngster.

The pair, who are of African-born parents, were born in Albuquerque, but have spent portions of their lives in Gambia, a city in Senegal on the coast of West Africa.

Because of the traveling back and forth, the brothers were not able to play football in high school. Sulayman lived in Africa for much of his teenage years and Mohammed spent two years in Africa during high school.

The reason the family moved so much is because their father, Garaba, is an African art dealer and his work kept the family commuting from Albuquerque to Africa every couple of years.

Sulayman said he and his five brothers and sisters were very active and always played sports, especially soccer, which was the popular sport in Africa.

However, that activity led to a longing to play football.

“We have always liked playing football and not being able to play gave us more desire,” Mohammed said.

The family moved back to Albuquerque for the senior years in high school. After graduation, the burning desire to play football had turned into an unstoppable inferno, and they both attempted to walk-on to UNM in fall1998. The parents also moved the family back to Albuquerque so that Mohammed and Sulayman could go to an American university.

Long was in his first year as head coach at UNM and distinctly remembers his first impressions of the Konte’s.

“When we first saw them, they were real novice on the basics of the game,” Long said. “They were good athletes, but very beginning football players.”

Sulayman said he was a little intimidated at first going up against players that played football most of their lives.

“I just gave it my best,” he said. “I just looked at the guys around me. I just thought if they were better, I would work hard and gain experience.”

Mohammed was a little bit more confident about the situation.

“I wanted to play football, but I never had the opportunity,” Mohammed said. “I felt like I was a good athlete and I had good size as a freshman. I felt I could play from the beginning.”

Mohammed started out as a wide receiver and then was switched to safety a year later. As Mohammed got stronger and bigger he eventually was moved to linebacker before his junior season.

“That moved paid dividends because linebacker is a better position for me,” he said. “I can read things a lot easier.”

He was fifth on the team in tackles with 63 his junior season. Now with a year of experience under his belt, Mohammed said he is getting better and more comfortable at the position.

“I’ve progressed a lot, getting a better feel for the position,” he said. “I am more relaxed.”

The progression has shown in his senior season as he is having a solid year so far. He is third on the team in tackles with 34 and third in sacks with two.

Sulayman earned a scholarship for the 2000 season and mostly played on special teams and as a reserve fullback.

He was expecting to have a breakout senior season, but the change of offensive philosophy has derailed those hopes. The Lobos switched the offense from a two-back set to a one-back set, meaning Sulayman would be on the field less. He usually plays in goal-line offense.

“I’m disappointed with the one-back set because I was supposed to play a lot,” he said. “Everyone is playing a lot and I am not able to play. Unfortunately, it’s not how I wanted it to work out.”

Despite the lack of playing time, Sulayman said he has enjoyed his time on the football team and with his brother.

The Konte’s also have another brother playing college football — their younger brother Sadeke plays running back for the New Mexico Military Institute.

Mohammed said the brothers were very competitive growing up and that he and Sulayman make sure neither one is lagging at practices.

“We compete, talk about practices,” Mohammed said. “We will go home and brag about I got a good lick on him or he got a good lick on me.”

Long said the Kontes’ struggles and improvements are something that people can look up to.

“They’ve improved tremendously and I think they understand the game pretty well,” Long said. “The improvement they have made athletically and the improvement they have made mentally in football have been tremendous.”

Mohammed said he and his brother do not take all the credit for their success.

“I give credit to our parents,” Mohammed said. “Our dad worked hard and he made us work hard. That hard work gave us a good work ethic.”

Their parents got to see that work ethic first hand because they are back from Africa and got to see Mohammed and Sulayman play for the first time in two years against BYU Oct. 13. They will make Saturday’s game against the Air Force Academy a family affair as well.

Football has not only helped the brothers get an education, but also helped bring them closer together.

“Football has helped unite us more as brothers,” Sulayman said.