Campus offers mixed reactions

Many concerned about civilians, others support retaliation

Campus reactions to the allied air strikes on Afghanistan Sunday morning ran the gamut from strong support to disapproval for what may be the beginning of a long campaign against terrorism in the Middle East.

Many students studying for midterms were unaware of the attacks by bombers and cruise missiles on at least three Afghanistan cities.

"I hadn't yet heard, but I figured they'd do something this week," said UNM graduate student Toby Vigil, who was studying at a table outside the Student Health Center Sunday afternoon.

"We need to give the Northern Alliance the impetus to move forward and get a government in place there that is decent and humane," he said.

Many were supportive of the military action.

"I think it's going to be part of a sustained effort, and I think it's right on target," UNM law student Patrick Griebel said as he waited for his food at Saggio's. Several in the restaurant divided their attention between sports and CNN coverage on the restaurant's several televisions Sunday evening.

Griebel said he hoped the civilian casualties are kept to a minimum.

"The humanitarian side can be pulled off well if it's kept in balance," he said. "This is going to be a very public display that terrorist acts can't stand, and a decisive knockout to governments that foster them."

Carissa Gareinel, who was studying physics in Zimmerman Library Sunday, agreed.

"I think it's a good idea that the president waited instead of going off half-cocked," she said. "He had to convince the rest of the world that he had evidence."

She said she feared for the humanitarian workers jailed by the Taliban but that a war without casualties was impossible.

Members of the College Republicans, who organized a rally Friday in support of American retaliation for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, mirrored those sentiments.

"Like most people that want to see military action, I've been pretty eager for it," said Ryan Rice, state chairman for the group. "I'm glad the administration has handled it the way they have - it's important not to rush into anything and act boldly."

Matt Kennicott, state executive director of the College Republicans, agreed.

"Well, at first, I was a little surprised that it happened so fast, it hasn't even been a month yet and we're already going after them, but I'm happy that something is actually taking place," Kennicott said. "I'm hoping that we catch (Osama) bin Laden and that he's killed or brought to justice in the United States. We need to root out as many terrorists as possible and bring an end to terrorism."

Some in the UNM community were not sure how they felt.

UNM sophomore Chris Burkhard, sophomore Leona Sam and junior Matt Dickson took a break from studying mechanical engineering in the library Sunday afternoon to weigh in on the actions in Afghanistan.

"I think any war is dumb," Sam said. "So many people will get hurt."

Her classmates disagreed.

"But if we don't do anything, it's not going to stop," Dickson said.

Burkhard added that, "The whole thing has been well thought out. They took their time and didn't act too hastily."

Other students on the mostly empty campus Sunday night weren't as happy with the military action.

"I'm sick to my stomach," junior Ben Walsh said. "I'm against the bombing of innocent people. I don't think any kind of military attack will rectify the situation, it will just make people hate America more."

David Chavez, a graduate of UNM's music education program, was walking in front of Popejoy Hall Sunday.

"It's difficult - I hope the United States isn't making a mistake considering how extreme the situation is in Afghanistan," he said. "I feel sorry for the people there, it seems unfortunate that we're retaliating when we see those countries struggling so hard."

Chavez said he hopes the Taliban would be able to develop enough political pressure to broker talks between bin Laden and representatives from the United States.

"If it was possible, bin Laden could go to justice in the World Court - I don't want to see any more death," he said.

About 35 people from the UNM community participated in a rally against the retaliation in front of the bookstore Sunday night. The event was organized by Voices for Peace, a group formed in the wake of the terrorist attacks that opposes military retaliation.

"We're here so people know that there is resistance to what some think is a justified action," said Mark Drexel, who attended with his children, Jordan, 4, and Michael, 1.

Wes Mongeau, a coordinator for Voices for Peace carried signs reading: "Your crusade is their holy war" and "Will it make us safe?" His views echoed the sentiments of many who have joined weekly protests against retaliation sponsored by the group.

"I think for a lot less money and fewer lives lost we could build a lasting peace in the Middle East through humanitarian efforts," he said. "There's no quick fix. Bombing isn't going to solve anything unless they expect to bomb to the last man standing."