If Lobos are bowl-bound, Aztec game is a must-win

Both teams have yet to post consecutive victories

The UNM football team has little time to bask in its 52-33 trouncing of the Air Force Academy last week with this weekend's pivotal game at San Diego State University looming.

Though the Aztecs (2-6, 1-3 in the Mountain West Conference) are out of bowl contention with three games remaining, the Lobos (3-4, 2-2) still control their own destiny, which makes for a must-win game.

"We try not to put that kind of pressure on ourselves, but each game is the most important game of the season," UNM quarterback Casey Kelly said. "If we don't win this one, then we have to win the rest of them. So we really want to win, because we know that would put us in a good position to have a good season."

While the Lobos are seemingly on the rise, having won two of its last three games, the Aztecs are plummeting.

They gave up seven turnovers to Ohio State University and Brigham Young University during the last two weeks, both Aztec losses.

Head coach Ted Tollner said his revolving door of quarterbacks - junior Lon Sheriff and sophomore Adam Hall - were part of the problem because all seven turnovers were interceptions.

"We haven't had any consistency at all (at quarterback) and it's been disappointing," Tollner said. "We're still making poor decisions, taking us out of games that really are winnable. It has not been the progress we hoped for."

Meanwhile, UNM head coach Rocky Long said the turnover ratio could determine who would come out on top this week.

"When a team's really struggling with turnover ratio, which they are, most of the turnovers are not forced," Long said. "A lot of the interceptions are bad throws under pressure, a lot of the fumbles are exchange problems. So, you hope that their problems continue when you get ready to play them."

Compounding San Diego State's woes is the fact that running back Larry Ned, the nation's leading rusher, is questionable for Saturday's game. He went into last week's game against BYU as questionable, but proceeded to grind out 239 yards.

"He played very well at about 80 percent and he's a little more banged up this week," Tollner said. "It will be a Saturday night decision. He's in a boot right now."

The Lobos are ninth in the nation against the rush, holding opponents to 83.3 yards a game, and Long said the UNM offense, which racked up 620 yards of offense against Air Force, is facing one of the toughest defenses in the Mountain West.

"I think that the two best defenses are them and Utah," Long said. "Overall, they have the best secondary in the league - all four guys."

Conversely, Tollner seemed worried about facing what he called a balanced UNM team.

"Offensively, they're more consistent and they've got both things going - the ability to run and the ability to pass," Tollner said. "So that creates problems for our defense. They're very strong against the rush right now and that's been the strength of our offense."

It will be the last road game for the Lobos this year, with the final three games at home against the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Colorado State University and New Mexico State University. The Lobos have not won on the road this year and the Lobos and Aztecs have not put together consecutive wins this season.

Game time is set for 6 p.m. and it can be seen on KRQE-TV Channel 13, or heard on 770-AM KOB.