International festival lets students share unique culture

The Office for International Programs and Studies will present its annual International Festival Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Johnson Center's Auxilary Gym.

UNM has about 800 international students, representing 85 different countries, and about 200 international visiting faculty and researchers.

"The International Festival gives students an opportunity to showcase their countries and cultures," said Ken Carpenter, UNM international student adviser and organizer of the program.

Across the country this week, several universities are involved in international events, Carpenter said.

Aside from the festival, UNM will have a workshop about international jobs today from 3-5 p.m. in Dane Smith Hall Room 327. "How and Why to Find an International Job," sponsored by the International Office, Career Services and Peace Corps is for students interested in internships and will address employment in business, government and international organizations.

On Thursday, events continue with an international day from 2-4 p.m. at the Honors College.

Under the banner of "One World - Bring us Together," Wednesday's cultural celebration will feature food, dancing and entertainment. About 25 cultures will be represented, ranging from Czech, Hawaiian and Pakistani, Carpenter said.

The festival will begin with Aztec dancing, will feature a performance by local Latin percussion group Concepto Tambor and will end with a salsa lesson.

"Some students will be selling handicrafts from their countries, some are going to wear their traditional costumes and they will provide pamphlets and materials," he said.

The main purpose of the event is to inform the UNM community about international students and issues, he said.

"The International Festival is an exciting way for all of us to educate ourselves about other parts of the World, and to show that our diversity can unite us as well as divide us," Carpenter said.

Last year's international festival featured about 24 countries. Organizers expect to increase the number of countries involved as well as the success of the event.

"Last year we had about 500 people who came through and enjoyed the entertainment," Carpenter said. "This year we expect to double the attendance."

The Center of English Language and American Culture, the Peace Corps, Latin American and Iberian Institute and vice president for Student Affairs are cosponsoring the festival with the Office for International Programs and Studies.

"I helped to find the external sponsors like Student Special Events, STA Travel and Intel, and I am involved in making some of the British food," said William Yau, master of ceremonies for the festival and the director of the International Center.