Stifling defense stalls women's team

Preparation proves to be Oregon State's ace in the hole

Oregon State University coach Judy Spoelstra could thank her lucky stars for her team's 77-61 win over the UNM women's basketball team Sunday.

But it might be more appropriate that she thank her trusty FedEx delivery person for helping her figure out how to help neutralize the Lobos' one-two punch of Jordan Adams and Mandi Moore.

Late Saturday night Spoelstra received the game tape of UNM's only other loss, to then-12th ranked Colorado University, during which the Buffaloes held Adams and Moore to a combined 29 points.

Perhaps more important though, Colorado stifled the pair's supporting cast, holding every other Lobo to under double figure scoring - aside from Chelsea Grear who managed 10 points - and forced the Lobos to shoot 29.4 percent in the second half.

But on Sunday, Spoelstra and the Beavers (3-3) one-upped Colorado - not only did they hold Moore to only four points and three assists and Adams to a quiet 18 points, they forced UNM (5-2) into a measly 22.9 percent shooting effort in the second half.

And Oregon State turned in a 44 percent mark from the field, hitting eight-of-17 3-point attempts.

"I saw (from the Colorado tape) that it was the scoring punch that makes the difference," Spoelstra said. "If you can't come in and score you won't win because this New Mexico ball club is a very, very good team."

The Beavers also held an edge on the boards, with Hollye Chapman - OSU's leading scorer with 28 points - snagging six offensive and three defensive rebounds, and forward Ericka Cook hauling in eight to lead the Beavers.

It was only the second time this year that the Lobos were out-rebounded, with the other time being against Colorado.

"One thing we were proud of was in the first half we only gave up one offensive board," Spoelstra said. "The whole game plan was to really double in on Jordan (Adams)."

Adams did not make a trip to the charity stripe after getting 10 attempts in the Lobos' 74-65 upset of eighth-ranked Texas Tech University Friday night. Moore went to the line eight times against the Red Raiders but did not have any free throw attempts against Oregon State.

Molly McKinnon did sink nine-of-12 free throws Sunday, but many came after the game was out of reach for the seemingly-fatigued Lobos, who were playing their third game in a week.

"I thought that fatigue was definitely a factor," UNM head coach Don Flanagan said. "They out-executed us; I though they played very well, they were the more aggressive team."

Moore picked up her second foul with 9:00 to play in the first half and would not see action again until the beginning of the second half.

That left the less-aggressive Stephanie Shaw to run the point, and the Beavers seized the moment, applying a three-quarter court press that disrupted the Lobos.

"We knew that (a press could work) from when we played them last year," Spoelstra said. "We were down 12 in the first half and we pressed them, gained a little bit of momentum and in the second half continued to press them. I was surprised, because I thought they would be attacking more."

Flanagan said he was not concerned that Shaw, who finished with nine points, six rebounds and three assists, will not be able to handle the point guard position in the future.

"Stephanie can play point guard and play it very efficiently and I have a great deal of confidence in her," Flanagan said. "So I'm not worried that when Mandi goes out that we won't be able to fill that position."

The Lobos did hold guard Felicia Ragland to only 13 points, more than four under her average, including holding her scoreless for the entire first half.

But with Chapman and Leilani Estavan filling the gaps - the latter finishing with 22 points - the Beavers were still effective.

"(Chapman) hasn't hit them as effectively as today so that really helped because it spread everybody out," Spoelstra said. "Leilani hitting the shots spread everybody else out too."

And it seemed that a rugged week of games and practice had the Lobos spread a little too thin to compete with the Pac-10 school, which Flanagan blamed on his scheduling.

"We will never have another week that we had three opponents like we had this week," Flanagan said. "It's just not enough time, unless you had a very seasoned veteran team."

On the positive side, the Lobos do have time - their conference season begins Jan. 6 - to find the right seasonings for their still-raw talent.