Fans unhappy with Parmer's departure

As the shock of Marlon Parmer's announcement that he was quitting the UNM men's basketball team wore off, disappointment set in for most Lobo fans.

Across the UNM campus, fans expressed a variety of opinions about the rift between Parmer and head coach Fran Fraschilla, but the common theme was frustration over the events that transpired during the past two weeks.

Kim Korsak, a communications student and UNM softball player, said Fraschilla had to do what was best for the team, and the incident may benefit Parmer as well. She said that, as an athlete, she knows conflicts usually arise between a coach and a player, but they never reach such a damaging level.

"I think it will affect their (the team's) focus," Korsak said. "That is all everybody is talking about. Obviously it is detrimental to the team. It got bigger than it should have."

Bruce Cherrin, UNM's director of purchasing, said he was disappointed as a fan because Parmer was a key player for the Lobos and the events are still a mystery, which can lead to speculation.

"Unfortunately, when there isn't official word, unofficial rumors begin and therefore people speculate because they have nothing to go on," Cherrin said.

Fans were divided about whether Fraschilla or Parmer was at fault. Sometimes, the divisions could be found at the same table.

"You have to look at him (Fraschilla) because he is the one that picked them (the players), then he kicks them off the team," UNM student Andrew Robinson said while eating at Saggio's Restaurant.

"They might have taken a bad apple away from the team," countered history major Jonah Cloud, who was sitting with Robinson. "It just seems that he (Parmer) couldn't take disciplinary actions. He's a quitter."

Staff member James Marquez, who was working out at Johnson Gym, said the blame should be placed on both of them.

"He's (Parmer) been like that since he got here," Marquez said. "(Fraschilla) should have stopped that when he first got here."

Some people said the team's offense helped create the rift. UNM student Chris Encinias said Parmer ought to leave because the offense is hurting his play-making ability.

"He's capable," Encinias said. "I think he has the athletic ability to go pro; he just could never do it in this system. He can't show his skills as a point guard if they don't run any offense."

Meanwhile, Marquez longed for days past with former head coach Dave Bliss, who is now at Baylor University.

"Bring Bliss back," Marquez said. "We never had this (problem) when Bliss was here. We couldn't lose at home, but we couldn't win on the road. But we wouldn't lose at home."

Most of the fans expressed hope that the team could overcome the drama of the past two weeks. Some fans said the controversy has overshadowed the team's success this season, since it holds a 12-5 record, including a 2-1 mark in Mountain West Conference play. But they are taking a wait-and-see approach with the team and the rest of the season.

"We'll see Saturday," Cherrin said. "If they come out playing hard and do well against Wyoming, I think the questions answer themselves."