Paths for Fraschilla's exiled Lobos varied

Trio find selves in Big XII, others find homes elsewhere

Marlon Parmer's departure from the UNM men's basketball team makes him the ninth player to have left under head coach Fran Fraschilla's tenure.

When asked about those departures at Wednesday's press conference, Fraschilla said, "If you look at a lot of the guys who left the program, they're not doing very much right now.

"I came into a situation where we had some changes, I recruited a couple of guys who didn't work out, but now we have good kids at our program."

Here is the list of players who have left the program and their progress:

Alvin Broussard (2000-2001 statistics: 1.6 points and 1.9 rebounds per game): The 6-foot, 6-inch forward left the program in November, citing lack of playing time and transferred to the University of San Francisco. He shot 40 percent from the floor at UNM and scored a career-high five points against Drexel University on Dec. 30, 2000.

Isaiah "Zeke" Johnson (2000-2001 stats: four points and 2.1 rebounds per game): A 6-foot, 7-inch forward, his best outing was a 15-point performance against Drexel, but played sparingly toward the end of the season. Johnson spent much of the season in the doghouse and was suspended for four games, including the last two games of the season.

Johnson was given a release from his scholarship in late May, and Fraschilla said the decision to let Johnson go was mutual.

It was reported that Johnson had taken a recruiting visit to Kent State University, but he never signed with the program.

Malcolm Battles (2000-2001 statistics: 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game): The 6-foot, 7-inch junior was supposed to help shore up the inside game for the Lobos, but his career was cut short after six games. He was kicked off the team after he was accused of aggravated battery on a household member, false imprisonment and child abuse against his girlfriend and her son.

He pleaded no contest to the charges and was sentenced to 18 months of supervised probation. He left UNM and transferred to Henderson State University, an NCAA Division II school in Arkadelphia, Ark., and then to Point Park College in downtown Pittsburgh before dropping out of school.

He applied for the NBA Draft, but was not drafted.

R.T. Guinn - (1999-2000 statistics 4.6 points, 4.8 rebounds in 16.8 minutes): The 6-foot, 10-inch forward departed the program in March 2000, alleging threats and verbal abuse by Fraschilla.

Guinn's father, Richard, accused Fraschilla of "out-and-out blackmail," which he said led to his son's transfer.

He told The Albuquerque Tribune that Fraschilla threatened to ruin R.T.'s career. Fraschilla said R.T. "wasn't doing things the right way on and off the court," but did not elaborate.

Guinn transferred to Baylor University, where he is averaging 4.7 points per game in 13 minutes.

John Robinson II (1999 statistics: four points, three assists per game in 16 minutes): The 6-foot, 1-inch point guard departed the program in December 1999, citing lack of playing time. He transferred to the University of Nebraska.

Robinson started 30 games, averaging 10.2 points and 4.8 assists per game as a freshman, leaving with the second-most points and assists as a freshman in Lobo history. He left in midseason after defeating third-ranked University of Arizona 70-68.

Robinson was battling then-freshman Parmer for the point-guard position. His father, John Robinson Sr., said his son should have been given more of a chance to keep his starting position.

He told The Albuquerque Tribune, "He brought in his guy and put John out in the cold. John wants to go somewhere where he gets respect; this guy gives him no respect."

He is averaging 18 minutes and 9.6 points per game at Nebraska.

Kevin Henry (1999-2000 statistics: nine points per game, connected on 51 three pointers): The 6-foot, 2-inch guard left the program, citing lack of playing time and transferred to Baylor University to be with former Lobo coach Dave Bliss. At UNM, Henry was one of the leading 3-point shooters in the country, hitting a school record 102 treys in 1998-99. He averaged 12.8 points per game in 1998-99, hitting nearly 43 percent from 3-point range.

In Fraschilla's first year as coach, Henry's time on the court and scoring decreased, but he started 65 of 66 games played. At Baylor, he is playing eight minutes and scoring two points per game.

Rafael Beruman (1999-2000 statistics: averaged seven minutes per game, scored eight points for the season): The 6-foot, 9-inch forward played in half the team's games before a groin injury pulled the plug on his season. Soon after the season ended, he complained of verbal abuse from Fraschilla, telling the Albuquerque Journal, " If he (Fraschilla) keeps treating me the way he has, I'm gone."

He was given a release from his scholarship in March 2000 and transferred to Los Angeles City College, where he averaged 18 points and nine rebounds last season. He signed with the University of Miami (Fla.) and is the team's top reserve, scoring 3.4 points and hauling in 2.5 rebounds per game.

Attila Cosby (Did not play): The 6-foot-9 junior transfer from the University of Pittsburgh never played a game with the Lobos, opting to stay closer to his home in Virginia at George Washington University.

Before he even played a game at his new school, he was charged with rape stemming from an incident with a prostitute at his dormitory room.

The case was thrown out, and Cosby played his junior year, averaging 8.4 points and 7.2 rebounds per game for the Colonials during the 2000-2001 season.

In April, he was charged with nine misdemeanor counts for the same incident and was convicted on seven of them. He is now serving a 2 ´-year sentence.

Staff Report