Display ignites controversy

Responses to graphic exhibit run gamut from horror to support

A 40-foot long, 18-foot tall display featuring pictures of aborted fetuses brought screams and jeers, as well as calm debate and support from passers-by to the traveling exhibit erected by anti-abortion group, Justice for All, Inc.

The crowd ebbed and flowed during breaks between classes as students debated the display's message with staff from the Kansas-based organization and each other. The exhibit featured large, graphic posters depicting bloody, dismembered fetuses compared in size to coins, tiny hands holding fingers and other abortion-related images. From behind metal fences, about 15 Justice For All staff members handed out literature and talked with onlookers about the display, which will spend one more day between Ortega Hall and the Duck Pond before moving to Cornell Mall and then the Health Sciences Center.

"Our mission is to change hearts and save lives," said Tammy Cook, administrative director for Justice For All. "We hope to show students the humanity of an unborn child and the inhumanity of abortion. We want them to get a full picture of what abortion entails."

In response to the exhibit, several on- and off-campus organizations set up abortion-rights displays and demonstrations nearby. The New Mexico Chapter of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League invited students to sign a petition to the dean of students denouncing the use of the photographs, while students from campus groups the Progressive Student Alliance and the Radical Cheerleaders invited passers-by to play games during their "Your Momma Had a Choice Carnival." The games were aimed at raising awareness about legislation regarding abortion, said group members Wendy Doenges and Casey Mason.

Reaction to the Justice for All display ran the gamut from horror to support of the group's use of the photographs.

"I think it's obscene and sensationalist - you are the American Taliban," said Allen Cooper, a part-time UNM instructor, to one of the organization's staff members. Cooper said he objected to the group's juxtaposition of photographs of aborted fetuses with pictures of children killed during the Holocaust and other historic events.

Others agreed that the photographs were inappropriate.

"I don't think it's necessary to show these pictures just to make a point," said Lauren Bernard, a sophomore majoring in English. "You're forced to look at this - they're not giving people a choice."

Geoff Plant, a non-degree graduate student in Communication and Journalism said, "when someone has to get an abortion, it's a difficult decision - this portrays it in a criminal way. Just showing gory pictures leaves out a lot of thought that goes into it. They're not providing any literature about the circumstances that might lead to an abortion."

Alison Stodd, a UNM sophomore, called Justice For All "people who feel they own the rights to women's bodies."

"It's an old-school idea that someone has control of another person," she said. "It's definitely in your face, it's pretty gross."

Others said while they agreed with Justice For All's message, they took issue with the group's 40-foot long display with headings such as "What is genocide?" and "What is it called when the victims have no choice?"

"I'm not disturbed by the message, just that it's so big," said Patrick Casey, a sophomore computer engineering major. "When I woke up, I wasn't planning to see 30-foot tall dead babies. I think it's wrong to force it upon people. You have to walk another way to avoid this."

Others said they thought the pictures were necessary to get through to people.

"I think it's good that people see these things," said Elizabeth Montano, a junior majoring in pharmacy. "I'm shocked, but at the same time glad that the message is out there."

Christine and Hannah Smith, sisters who attend La Cueva High School, agreed.

"I think the pictures are very good - nobody knows this is what happens to babies," Christine Smith said.

"How can you dispute it when you look at these horrid pictures?" Hannah Smith added.

Rebecca Lewitt, a freshman studying elementary education, said she attended on behalf of her church to show support for the group. She said she had listened to many student responses to the exhibit.

"Mainly people feel that women are being maligned, that they are being selfish," she said. "I'm saying they were miseducated when they made that choice. This is to educate them."

Jesus Pinela, a mechanical engineering major, said he supported abortion rights, but that the display was effective, adding that it might encourage teenagers to practice safe sex.

"I think it should be a woman's choice, but these are some strong images," he said. "It would change my mind."

The group, which is funded through private donations, had to apply to the Student Activities Center for a permit for the display. Susan Corban, assistant director of student activities, said the only limits to public demonstrations on campus are that they have no sound application, do not obstruct pedestrians or safety vehicles and do not disrupt classes.

She said she hadn't seen an exhibit like this at UNM before and that the office had received a few calls from people who objected to it.

Randy Boeglin, the UNM dean of students, said while some may find the exhibit controversial, the group has the right of free speech on campus.

"The commerce of the University is ideas and unfettered free speech," he said. "This is an example of that. As long as it doesn't disrupt the nature of University business, we would welcome groups that wanted to come here."

A campus branch of Justice For All was chartered last year, he said, and that provided the conduit for the national group to come to UNM.

The Dean of Students Office had received a few complaints, Boeglin said.

"Our response has been that we're an environment that operates on the free expression of ideas, and some of those ideas may be offensive," he said.

Kimberly Lavender, a history major who was collecting signatures for the petition on behalf of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League and the New Mexico Students For Choice, called the display "visual harassment." Information provided by Justice For All about the so-called "morning after pill" and the RU-486 abortion pill was inaccurate, and a toll-free hotline for pregnant women did not offer all the options, she said.

"I think they're putting out misinformation, it's sensational and not genuine as to helping women," she said. "I just think it's insulting to women's freedom to make decisions."

Members of Justice For All said they had honed their skills fielding often-emotional questions and keeping debates calm. The organization has demonstrated on public college campuses for about four years.

"As you can see, there's lots of good dialogue," said Jacob Burow, a logistics coordinator with the group. "We're getting people to think about the issue."

As of the end of Monday, the most violent reaction was a cup of coffee thrown at the display, Burow said.

"Right now, it's nice and quiet," said Cmdr. James Daniels, spokesperson for the UNM Police Department, which had several officers on hand and a squad car near the exhibit. "That's the way we want it."