Web Exclusive: Festive fans turn out to support Lobo women

A festive atmosphere engulfed the UNM women's basketball team Wednesday afternoon as fans bid farewell to the Lobos in their journey to Knoxville, Tenn. in the NCAA Tournament.

The UNM band played and about 250 people gathered at the southwest corner of University Stadium to show their support and wish the Lobos luck as UNM prepares to take on the University of Notre Dame Friday in the first round of the Midwest Region.

"I think this is fantastic," Lobo fan Netta Baca said. "I have been a fan since (head coach Don) Flanagan started here. He has built a fantastic program and we have a lot of young ladies we are proud of. This is a very, very good showing for the women's program."

Fans young and old showed up to voice their approval of the team and its chances in the tournament.

"I think the Lobos will fair very well; I think they will win the game," Baca said. "It will boil down to the our defensive effort."

Several Lobo supporters held up signs encouraging the Lobos to beat Notre Dame. Signs read "You Go Girls," and "Steal the Luck from the Irish."

"This is unbelievable; we have the best fans in America and (Wednesday) was no exception," UNM assistant coach Ed Wyant said. "They came out and showed their support. This is a terrific farewell."

As the Lobos were preparing to board buses to take them to their chartered flight, fans began to chant "Everyone's a Lobo, Woof, Woof, Woof."

Al Stiadlin of Albuquerque said the atmosphere the women's program has created is great.

"I think it's wonderful," he said. "Anytime the Lobos have a team that does as well as this, they should all be supported like this."

Lobo supporters waived and yelled chants of "Beat the Irish" as the buses drove away.

Earl Williams said the turnout of people was encouraging and thinks it will give UNM a boost.

"I think it helps their confidence in knowing that they have the support," he said. "It will build their confidence for Notre Dame and next season."

Junior center Jordan Adams agreed.

"I think it is really nice that people respect us and believe in us and it helps us believe in ourselves," she said.

Game time is set for 4:00 p.m. and will be televised on KRQE-TV Channel 13 and radio broadcast on 610-AM, The Sports Animal.