'Jekyll & Hyde' sinister, lively musical

If you've never seen a dark and sinister horror movie as a musical, now just might be the time to go.

"Jekyll & Hyde" is the latest production by Musical Theater Southwest. Although many scenes are carefully choreographed, the play manages to avoid the awkward dance scenes that give many musicals a bad name.

True to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic novel of the same name, this dark musical explores the study of psychiatry in the Victorian era when many considered it the sinister side of medicine.

Dr. Henry Jekyll seeks to invent a formula that will separate the forces of good and evil within man. Hoping to win approval for his research by the board of governors, he sings his argument that change in science is necessary and inevitable. Unsuccessful in convincing them, he decides to continue with his experiment by becoming his own subject - long before the days of scientific ethics codes forbid the practice.

In a science experiment gone awry, Dr. Jekyll becomes the sinister and murderous Hyde, both played by Chad Woodard. The incredible capacity in which Woodard portrays both the goodness of Jekyll and the evil of Hyde is showcased in a musical number called "The Confrontation," where the two personalities battle for control.

Other musical performances worth watching out for include a duet between Jekyll's fiancÇe Emma, played by Jillian Foster, and the prostitute Lucy Harris, played by Tahirih de la Cerda. An amazing orchestra, directed by Joel Gelpe, supports the vocal talent on stage.

Such remarkable musical performances render scenes of actual dialogue almost boring. Although short and used only to break up musical numbers, the dialogue scenes go by just fast enough to please an audience thirsty for more music.

UNM student Matthew Christopher Burke, who plays the apothecary Bisset, says that although "Jekyll & Hyde" is a dark story, the musical version is a lively portrayal of the issue of good and evil.

"Just about everyone's familiar with the tale of Jekyll and Hyde, and everyone deals with good and evil," he said. "Even though it's a serious story, this show makes it fun."

Directed by Bill Potenziani, "Jekyll and Hyde" will run through April 7 at Popejoy Hall. For tickets or information, call the Musical Theater Southwest Box Office at 262-9301.