Public station uses pledge drive to seek community support

Strong local programming and the ability to expand that coverage are some of the key reasons KNME, Channel 5, publicist Evy Todd is encouraging people to donate to public television.

The staff of the UNM-operated station is spending March seeking pledges, an event that happens four times a year to fund more than 50 percent of the organization's budget and keep broadcasts commercial-free.

"We schedule the programs on KNME for this market and that's the really special thing about PBS," Todd said. "The 360 TV stations under the umbrella of the Public Broadcasting System all have options for different shows on different days, with the exception of some built-in programming such as 'Nova,' 'Nature' and 'Frontline.' We also work to find and produce programs for this market."

Todd added that while many tell her that cable television can offer the same specialized programs, it lacks the community programs and accessibility that public television offers.

"You really can't beat public television when it reaches 99 percent of all households," she said.

While striving to provide quality, local entertainment, Todd said the station also tries to provide strong educational and public service through weekly UNM and Albuquerque Public Schools programs, interviews with government officials and community forums.

The station is aiming to add 1,000 new members through its drive. Community memberships cost $35, and students are charged $20. In addition to supporting the station, members receive programming guides called Ventana with standard and alphabetical show listings. With credit card subscriptions, members also receive a subscription to Sunset magazine.

To bolster interest in the fund drive, the station is offering a blitz of popular programming and prizes for donations during breaks.

"Some people complain at some of the prices for CDs, for example, but those are more gifts for showing support for the station, not really market-value for the prizes," Todd said.

Programs that are featured during the drive include some of the station's more popular segments, such as "Visions of Italy, which comes in installments and focuses on the northern and southern portions of the country. The documentary-style program was filmed with high-quality digital photography from a helicopter.

"You might expect a rocky picture, but the producers were so meticulous, they planned for the sunlight to make sure it is smooth and you never even see the helicopter's shadow," Todd said. "It really is a stunning, beautiful presentation. The program also is moderated by a woman with a faint Italian accent with Italian music in the background."

While the station's staff strives to make a connection with the community, Todd said she is proud to say it already boasts a strong following.

"Most stations average pledges from one out of every 10 viewers, but we generally get five out of every 10, which is outstanding," she said. "We've been one of the top five well-supported PBS stations in nation."

Todd cited the approval of general obligation bonds in November 2000 that allowed the station to be the first public or private entity in the state to use a digital signal as another sign of the station's strength.

"We feel really lucky to have the kind of community support we have received," she said.

To pledge support or learn more about the station, turn on Channel 5 or visit the station's Web site, www.knmetv.org. The site includes programming notes and a link for online donations.