Film, speakers aim to shed light on Ju†rez murders

A documentary and a panel discussion today at the South Broadway Cultural Center will delve deeper into Ciudad Ju†rez's mass murder mystery, exploring possible explanations of why the women have been killed.

The Benefit for the Women of Ju†rez will begin with the film, "Se§orita Extraviada (Missing Young Woman)" at 7 p.m. It will then feature discussions with panelists Viola Casares from Fuerza Unida in San Antonio, Victoria Caraveo from Casa Amiga in Ju†rez and Cipriana Jurado from Centro de Investigaci¢n y Solidaridad in Obrera, Mexico.

Ana Guajardo, the El Centro de la Raza events coordinator, said that women from small towns in Mexico who don't know how to defend themselves in large cities, go to Ju†rez and work in the maquiladoras, or factories. She added that the factories are predominantly owned or sub-contracted by U.S. corporations seeking cheap labor and less environmental regulations.

She said that many of the women go to work before the sun rises and leave after dark, making them vulnerable to attack.

"It is our responsibility on this side of the border to investigate these problems and find the murderers," Guajardo said. "We should really be involved because it's our factories that have brought these jobs and have brought people to work on the border."

She added that she believes the film will be very powerful.

"I saw the movie in San Antonio at a Latino film festival and it's really a life changing movie and I think it'll have the same impact on our audience," Guajardo said. "I think it's the best educational resource out there to learn about this issue."

According to a University statement, the film includes information about the murder of women and how to contribute to organizations making efforts to end it, as well as information on globalization.

Guajardo said Lourdes Portillo, the film's creator, was at the festival she attended.

"The filmmaker said, 'I don't see how it is possible that about 500 women are missing - how can one person be responsible for this?'" Guajardo said. "A lot of people think it's just one serial killer but it's really a lot more complicated than that."

The press release stated that Portillo's previous work also includes "Las Madres: The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo," "La Ofrenda: The Days of the Dead" and "Corpus: A Home Movie for Selena." The movies center around her political, social and cultural activism and to her attention to the daily struggles and complex realities of Latinas.

Guajardo added that the money raised at the benefit will be given to Casa Amiga and Centro de Investigaci¢n y Solidaridad.

"These organizations are working to bring awareness to this issue since the government, the city and the police don't really do anything about it," she said.

She said that the Mexican media have not taken the murders seriously.

"The media presents them as isolated cases and don't make it a huge problem that needs to be addressed," she said.

The organizations also help the victims' families financially.

"These organizations help with funeral expenses and sometimes housing because a lot of the families are poor and can't afford to bury their loved ones," she said.

Guajardo said she hopes many people walk away with valuable information.

"I really hope that people come to see the movie because there is really nothing out there that addresses the complexity of this issue," she said. "I think the discussion will be really great because we can directly ask questions to people who are living it and find out what we can do to help."

The film's narration is in English but the interviews are in Spanish, which will be subtitled. The discussion will be in Spanish but translators will be available.

Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door. Children younger than 13 get in free and tickets are available at the UNM Latin American Institute, El Centro de la Raza, the UNM Women's Resource Center and the Southwest Network for Environmental and Economic Justice.

For more information about the benefit contact Monica Delgado at 277-6847, Guajardo at 277-5020 or Bianca Encinias at 242- 0416.