New coach addresses critics

McKay lists attributes he would bring to the program

Embattled men's basketball coach Ritchie McKay confidently stepped forward to address his critics Monday, describing a family-oriented, competitive style he plans to bring to the program.

"I'm elated to be head basketball coach at the University of New Mexico," McKay said.

He added that he was pleased to take the job at a school his late father, who was influential in his decision to be a coach, played at from 1960-1963.

"I can't think of a better way to honor my father than by taking this job at his alma mater," he said.

Athletics Director Rudy Davalos used the press conference to explain the whirlwind, two-week process he used in hiring McKay, formerly head coach of Oregon State University. Many thought Arizona State University coach Rob Evans would be offered the job, but UNM Athletics Department representatives denied the rumors that Evans confirmed.

"Five out of six (candidates) were recruited hot and heavy by us," Davalos said. "They were told every sweet thing that they could be told about how great New Mexico was and how wonderful it was and it was their job. And they could honestly say, when they left the room, that it was their job if they wanted to tell people because we said you're the guy for the job and we meant it - at the time."

Davalos said he interviewed McKay before Evans and concluded by saying that McKay was the only person who was formally asked to sign a contract and join the program.

McKay used the press conference at the Pete McDavid Lounge as a chance to respond to criticism about him being a low-profile coach, his losing record, only working two-year stints at three other programs, allegations that he has been hypocritical in calling previous coaching positions his "dream job" and his ability to take Lobo basketball to the next level.

The new coach pointed out that he has consistently rebuilt programs and has coached six players who went on to play in the NBA in his six-year career.

"Now don't be deceived by our record at Oregon State and my passion for the game and the ability to hire a phenomenal staff - the thing I'm best at is relationships," he said. "Our players will know that they are loved and cared for. Sometimes love means discipline and doing maybe the hard things but they won't ever leave our family setting without knowing they were cared about."

He blamed the media for taking his remarks about other jobs out of context.

While former coach Fran Fraschilla made promises of trips to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament within the first three years of his tenure, McKay said he would like to be in the tournament next year but first would have to evaluate the team better.

McKay named three of his assistant coaches and described the attributes he would bring to the program.

He said he preferred an up-tempo offense with solid 3-point shooting, but it would all be predicated on the strengths of the players at his disposal.

The new assistant coaches are Brad Soucie, who has worked with McKay at Portland State University, CSU and Oregon State; Scott Didrickson, who played for McKay when he was an assistant coach at the University of Washington; and Duane Broussard, who played for McKay when he was an assistant coach at Bradley University.

With two scholarships available, McKay said he was already focused on recruiting a center and a guard to help carry the scoring load. He added that he had not made a decision about the future of former point guard Marlon Parmer, who left the team citing Fraschilla's verbal abuse. McKay said Parmer has not contacted him yet about returning to the team.