Live version of 'Hedwig' hits KiMo and the Angry Inch" Comes to Albuquerque

The only thing that pisses me off about "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is that I didn't write it. That honor belongs to John Cameron Mitchell.

This incredible, offbeat and critically acclaimed off-Broadway show will be at the KiMo Theatre Friday. Performed in its original stage-form, the production will be presented at a one-night-only show in Albuquerque.

Mitchell, along with composer/lyricist Stephen Trask created and starred in the lauded musical. For both his script and performance, Mitchell was awarded an OBIE Award, a New York Magazine Award, a Drama League Award and the Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Off-Broadway Musical.

"Hedwig and The Angry Inch" tells the story of an "internationally ignored" rock singer, Hedwig, and her search for stardom and love. Born a boy named Hansel who spends his days dreaming and listening to American pop music, Hedwig reluctantly submits to a sex-change operation in order to marry an American G.I. and get over the Berlin Wall to freedom.

The operation is botched, leaving her with the aforementioned "angry inch." Soon after Hedwig gets to the United States her husband leaves her and Hedwig learns of the falling of the Berlin Wall.

Finding herself at a loss, Hedwig seeks to create the same brand of pop-music that inspired her as a young boy. She puts together a small band but soon finds herself wrapped up in lover/protÇgÇ Tommy Gnosis, who eventually leaves her, steals her songs, and becomes a huge rock star.

The story is presented in the form of a "gig" with Hedwig explaining her painful life story through hilarious monologues that occur between songs.

Starring as Hedwig and as Tommy Gnosis this Friday is Donnan Sutherland, a thespian and performer noted for his powerful stage presence. Performing as Yitzhak, Hedwig's back-up vocalist and romantic interest is Ben Callan. Andy Primm, Mickey Baker, Sarah Meadows, and Micah Chappel will perform as the rest of the pan-Slavic "Angry Inch" band.

This is the only showing this crew will perform in Albuquerque -- do not miss this rare event. "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is by far the greatest gender-bending rock-musical since the "Rocky Horror Picture Show." Unlike "Rocky," "Hedwig actually features a decent plotline and believable characters.

"Hedwig" cleaned up at several film festivals, including the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the Berlin International Film Festival, the San Francisco International Film Festival, the Seattle International Film Festival, the Sundance Film Festival for "Best Director" and the "Audience Award Drama."

The theatrical "Hedwig" will be featured at the KiMo Theatre at 423 Central Ave. this Friday, Sept. 27, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 and available through Ticketmaster or through the Kimo box office.