Jazz bands show off talents

The UNM jazz program has a deep vein of talent, as was proven Thursday night in Woodward Hall when the jazz band classes I and II showed off their talents.

Led by Jazz Studies director and assistant professor Glenn Kostur, the classes went through a variety of jazz tunes that kept the audience tapping their feet.

Most times, when one thinks of jazz, images of Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Duke Ellington come to mind, but the UNM jazz classes have begun to master more than just the typical greats. The bands went through a variety of songs composed by such musicians as Sammy Nestico, Lennie Niehaus and Oliver Nelson.

Jazz band II led off the night with Nestico, whom Kostur called “one of the more prolific composers in the last 40 years.” The song, “A Pair of Aces,” let student saxophonists Bobby Miller and Brad Swardson show their stuff. Trumpet player David Schripsema also chimed in for a feature.

The highlight of the first part of the performance was trombone player Alan Petmecky’s solo during the song “Polkadots and Moonbeams,” composed by Van Heusen & Burke. Kostur said the piece was written specifically to feature the trombone, an instrument that most people not familiar with jazz could easily overlook. The trombone adds a wonderful bass element to the music with its tenor-baritone quality.

Kostur also included a piece by Niehaus, a saxophone player from the Bebop Era. The band played a diddy by him called “Betwixt and Between,” with features from Manuel Ramirez on the sax and Hung Truong on the trumpet. David Kelly joined in for a guitar feature that rounded out the piece.

While the second jazz band class had some serious depth, the first jazz band came on for the second act with flaring pizzazz. Busting out with “Be Bop Charlie,” by Bob Florence, the band made a very lively, uproarious impression that threw the audience right back into that thing called jazz.

Next, the band played a John Fedchock song “Blues For Red.” Kostur said that Fedchock was “rumored to be one of the greatest jazz trombonists.” Student alto sax player Aaron Lovato and bass player Zach Fowler were also featured during the song.

The trumpet players got their spotlight in the third song, “Beautiful Love,” arranged by Paul McKee.

A guest artist was unveiled during the second set. Ed Ulman, the executive director of the New Mexico Jazz Workshop, joined jazz band I for the whole set, playing the trombone. He was featured in the piece “Emancipation Blues,” composed by Oliver Nelson. A wonderful piano feature during the song showcased Jeff Brown’s skills.

The last song in the set was arranged by Kostur for his class, but was composed by Bob Berg, a saxophone player who died in December.

Kostur said that “Silverado” was a tune he heard on one of Berg’s CDs and he thought it might translate well to a bigger band. Tenor sax player Starr Vavrek had a sweet feature during the song and Fowler switched to a bass guitar to accompany the piece.

The jazz program at UNM has produced some wonderful student musicians and this latest concert was merely a taste of what’s being offered. Support your student musicians and check out other Department of Music events. Call 277-2131 for more information.