Insomnia to close doors forever

Popular coffee house catered to young, old

If you say the word insomnia around here, teens and young adults alike know that you are not just referencing an inability to sleep, but referring to the Insomnia Coffee House - a friendly, alcohol-free and safe place created specifically for the under 21 community.

This extremely popular hangout is a place for talking, writing, coffee consumption, studying, sleeping and lots and lots of local music.

Insomnia stays open late so the young and old restless-minded insomniacs of Albuquerque have a place to go late at night. Their hours surpass the hours of any bar in town, the coffee house stays open until 3 a.m.

That is, until this coming Sunday, when the Insomnia will close its doors forever.

"It's a culmination of different issues," said owner Susannah Skye. "Our lease is up at the end of this month and our landlord has had some better offers in terms of payment."

New restrictions that placed the occupancy level at a maximum of 49 people are causing difficulties for the business.

"It's a ridiculously low number and is figuring one person to every 40 square feet," Skye said. "It's crazy."

For a venue that has been such a success and is respected for its uncommon hours, the closure is a great disappointment to those who rely on it being there.

"It's a loss for the community and for one of the first cool hangouts for the under 21 crowd," said Kouri Antinone an Insomnia regular and UNM student. "It's been a place where we've been able to gather and not feel bad about who we are."

Insomnia has also been one of the most important venues for lesser-known local bands in Albuquerque - it makes these shows accessible to those who can't get into bars and is a way for the bands get exposure. This symbiosis created the exciting and popular music scene that Insomnia is so well known for.

Local bands like Feels Like Sunday have been playing there for a long time.

"Insomnia was a place that helped us come out into the community," lead singer Joni Rhodes-Orie said. "It one of the places that had all ages all the time. I remember in 2001 at Insomnia Fest - that was one of my greatest memories."

However, due to the raving popularity of the venue and the bands that played there, the restrictions being placed on Insomnia are bad for business.

"This place has done great things for the local music scene," employee Jonathan Cromwell said. "There are certain bands that started off here and couldn't play anywhere that have record deals now. They are really going to miss this place."

Skye has plans to move on with her life.

"I might open more of a ritualistic teahouse, rather than being a tearoom, it'll be more of an intercultural tea-based place with light, vegetarian food, some coffee, but with a focus on tea and ceremony," she said. "I'll just do more things this town has never heard of."