Drag queen show reveals variety

'Divas and Diamonds' supports community

October is National Coming Out Month and Sinatra-DeVine Productions is setting out the rainbow carpet for the fourth year in a row.

The Company's annual production of "Come Out, Come Out Wherever You Are," a drag review and variety show, is taking place at the Hiland Theatre on Saturday.

This year, the show is themed "Divas & Diamonds" and it sparkles with a myriad of entertainment options. With a whopping 125-member cast, "Divas & Diamonds" promises to fulfill every expectation.

Included in the show will be a reincarnation of Liza Minelli during four different stages of her life, along with re-creations of other stars like Cher and Boy George. There will also be a simulation of Michael Jackson's "Thriller," with women performers dressed as ghouls in addition to a preview of Hiland Theatre's upcoming production of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

A calendar featuring all of Albuquerque's top female illusionists will be released at a party at the Empire Night Club immediately following the show. All proceeds from the calendar will benefit the Albuquerque chapter of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

Proceeds from "Divas & Diamonds" will go to Musical Theatre Southwest, Albuquerque Pride and Working Classroom, an educational foundation that helps underprivileged children interested in the arts.

According to a recent news release, the mission of Sinatra-DeVine Productions "is to raise money to improve the life and quality of life for others either through monetary donation or direct gifts of necessity of life items such as food or clothing."

Dino Leyba and PJ Sedillo, founders of the company, started the company in order to get different types of people involved in the gay and lesbian community.

Leyba said he wanted to sponsor a more family-oriented event.

"I wanted to hold the event at a place where my mom and my sisters could go," Leyba said. "I think it's important for families to be able to participate. It's important for (gays and lesbians) to have support from families and friends."

The show was designed to offer this kind of support. The Hiland Theatre is open to people of all classes, races, ages and sexual orientations.

Leyba said the show is "a big undertaking" and 12 weeks of hard work pulled it all together and their efforts have been worth it.

"The show is about supporting each other through our differences," he said. "Diversity is really important for us to understand so we don't always find ourselves throwing the rocks."