Lack of money kills SEPAS

The reasons contributing to the demise of SEPAS are both common among other student organizations and unique.

Students Educating Peers About Sex was a student organization that officially came to an end last semester because of funding problems and internal transition issues.

The organization was one of the most recognized on campus. Members handed out condoms and sponsored health-oriented events. SEPAS was almost always one of the highest-funded groups by ASUNM.

Despite its popularity, the group folded in May, although the Associated Students of UNM Senate had approved $6,094 in appropriations for the organization for the 2003-04 fiscal year. Those funds have been frozen by the ASUNM Senate and will go back to student government's general fund for the next fiscal year.

That total was among the highest for student organizations this year. But, it was more than $2,000 less than SEPAS received for the previous fiscal year.

Jeremy Jaramillo was the director of SEPAS for several years. Jaramillo said the decreased funding did not help, but there were other factors contributing to the group's termination.

Jaramillo said he is preparing for graduate school and did not have the time to be director this year.

Also, no members wanted to take the position, and the physical office SEPAS was to occupy in the renovated SUB was not conducive to its mission of educating students about sex in a confidential environment, he said.

"It was a precarious situation in that sense," he said. "Basically the members and I had to make a decision."

That decision was to not re-charter SEPAS.

"It was a tough decision (to reduce SEPAS funds)," said Amanda Sims, ASUNM vice president. "They didn't do anything wrong. It was just a budget decision."

The funding decrease came in the specific area of staff salaries. Last year, SEPAS had $5,200 of its overall budget of $8,435 earmarked for two salary positions. This year, only $1,296 of its $6,094 was set aside for one salary position, according to the Student Government Accounting Office.

Jaramillo said the trouble of finding a qualified director to take over SEPAS, coupled with no salary to pay that new director, was a major reason why SEPAS was not re-chartered.

"I think it's unfortunate to lose any student groups on campus," Sims said. "Especially one that helps educate students about sex."

Susan Corban, assistant director of the Student Activities Center, said one of the most common reasons why student organizations come to an end is because chartering or founding members graduate or leave UNM.

"From my perception, SEPAS did not close because of the loss of one salary," Sims said. "I don't particularly think any one student organization is better than another."

Jaramillo said students who want to learn more about healthy sexual relationships can contact the Student Health Center, a Planned Parenthood clinic or the Stanford Public Health Clinic on north campus.