Black storms Duke City

In his weekly spot on "The Daily Show," Lewis Black peppers political commentary with comedy.

These two components of his routine may seem incompatible, but for Black, modern politics and comedy are one and the same - both are likely to be ridiculous.

While Black is making audiences laugh with his political observations, he said he finds the state of affairs in America slightly less amusing. His character, which has a slot Wednesday nights on Comedy Central, is infuriated by the ineptness of the government, and so is Black.

Offscreen Black is more subdued than his on-screen counterpart. Like the Incredible Hulk, when Black is watching political shows on Sunday mornings he said he can feel his enraged alter ego start to stir.

"When they get the guys on who are making the policies, that's where my character and myself cross over," Black said. "You watch them come out and defend what they did the last week on the Sunday show and you're just like, are you kidding me?"

Black, however, does think he would make a better politician. When asked if he would ever consider running for office, Black's answer was a resounding "No."

"It upsets me enough just to be a democratic participant," Black said. "If I was near these people, I would get into real trouble. I don't think I can yell that loud."

And there is much to yell about, he said.

Conflict in Iraq has provided Black with an abundance of material. In pre and postwar behavior, Black is appalled by governmental action.

"The fact that they had no plan is just spectacular," he said. "It's like they expected the Iraqis to speak English three weeks after we got there."

Now that troops are in Iraq, he said, the government feels like it has to keep them there.

"I think we have too," Black said. "We (expletive) ourselves. We can't leave, now we're stuck. What we should do now is try to get the rest of the world's interest up."

Iraq has been handled badly, he said, and Bush's ignorance has greatly contributed to the problem.

"If anyone could have showed this guy a globe before he ran (for office), it would have been nice," Black said.

Bush isn't the only cause of Black's comic and personal angst. The California recall, current environmental polices and the 2004 presidential campaign contribute to his political disenchantment.

Black is appalled by California's recent election of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"It proves these people would rather live in a movie than live in reality," he said. "They should therefore lose their statehood. I don't care what the Constitution says - the Constitution is not designed for this."

Black's passion for politics spills over into policies regarding the United States' use of oil.

"We have to find a way to diminish our use of foreign oil," he said.

Black is tired of politicians' excuses as to why the issue has not yet been addressed. "Don't give me the answer that it's not that easy," he said. "It wasn't easy to go to the moon, but we did it in 10 years. I don't care what your state needs or anybody needs, you figure it the (expletive) out."

He makes no attempt to hide his disdain for Bush or the present-day government. Still, he is not comforted by the upcoming elections and the possibility of a new government.

"The Democrats have managed once again to come up with appalling list of candidates," he said. "We're no better off than when Gore was running."

In a nation where politics are not a subject familiar to all citizens, a political comedian might find his audience sizably reduced. Black gives audiences "the basics" and delivers the news in a way that hits home to all listeners.

"All you have to do is break it down," Black said. "You say here's the vice president. What do you think? If someone gave you $31 million, would you still be objective? Nobody would. The first time somebody pumps your gas, you'll probably blow them."