Female composers take stage

Professors offer taste of history's women musicians

Valerie Potter and Pamela Pyle, assistant professors in the music department, didn't mean to make a feminist statement - but they have.

Tonight, five female composers will finally get their moment in the spotlight.

Potter and Pyle's recital at Keller Hall will showcase a selection of what they consider brilliant compositions. Soprano and assistant professor Leslie Umphrey will join them in the first half of the program.

When flutist Potter and pianist Pyle conspired to choose a program for their recital, gender issues were not a major priority. The musicians were motivated by a desire to feature an underrepresented sector of musical composition.

"We weren't trying to make a big political statement," Potter said. "We were like 'What's something different we can do?' We wanted to choose a segment of a repertoire that is maybe currently under-explored."

In 2003, the Classical Music Navigator Web site published "The 111 Most Influential Composers." The people on this list have had their work performed throughout the world.

Richard Wagner is listed as the first most influential composer. Other highly ranked composers include: Bach, Stravinsky, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt, Schoenberg, Chopin, Schumann and Brahms.

The compositions created by the listed composers cover a variety of eras and apply to numerous instruments. Still, they share one major commonality - gender.

The 'Most Influential' composers of all time are, apparently, all men.

Pyle suggested a program of only women composers.

"I initially thought it was a great idea, but then I froze when I thought we may not be able to find any music," Potter said.

Potter was pleasantly surprised when she discovered the vast array of music composed by women.

"It was so great realizing how much music is out there, a lot of it is really, really enjoyable," Potter said.

Potter is enthusiastic about the concert and proud to drag some great composers out of the darkness of anonymity.

In a program of five composers, Potter and Pyle will perform works by unknown greats like Catherine Hoover, Catherine McMichael, Cecile Chaminade and Madeline Dring. Potter said during her search for material, she discovered some wonderful stories about the composers themselves.

Anna Amalia, whose work will also be performed tonight, was the Princess of Prussia and the sister of Frederick the Great, who was a sponsor of the Baroque era's musicians, including Bach.

While Bach's work was nourished, Amalia's work remained relatively unknown. Potter said this was not due to a lack of quality. She said the sonata is delightful.

Gender undoubtedly played a large role in suppressing the work of composers like Amalia.

"It is unusual to find pieces by women in Amalia's era, because back then if you were well-off enough to be able to afford musical training you were probably well-off enough that it would bring a stigma to your family," Potter said. "Women were in a precarious situation where there was a polite amount of musical ability allowed, and no more."

Thankfully, stigmas are diminishing and now listeners can enjoy the music denied to countless others.

"I am just grateful for the opportunity to bring some light to a neglected area of the repertoire," Potter said.

The Who, When and Where

Who: Valerie Potter and Pamela Pyle

When: Tonight at 7:30 p.m.

Price: $10 adults, $7 seniors and $3 students

Where: Kellar Hall

Tickets and info: UNM Box Office

www.tickets.com