Latin culture takes the stage

Orchestra performances may traditionally be an auditory experience, but performances by the UNM Symphony Orchestra are sure to tantalize many more senses.

Sunday's performance in Keller Hall will be an aural treat - consider it a taste of things to come.

Led by Jorge PÇrez-G¢mez, the UNM Symphony bring, a distinct flavor to the stage.

PÇrez-G¢mez joined the UNM faculty as an associate professor of music and as conductor of the UNM Symphony Orchestra in 1990. Upon his arrival, he established goals to infuse cultural energy into the orchestra.

"I placed particular emphasis on Mexican music and composers because I'm originally from Mexico City," PÇrez-G¢mez said.

Ever since he began putting his intentions for the UNM orchestra into action, he has smelled the sweet aroma of success.

The orchestra of 50 students has followed the direction of PÇrez-G¢mez and taken to the music of several Mexican composers. Sunday's performance will feature one such piece, "Scenes of Childhood," by Mexican composer Sylvestre Revueltas.

The orchestra has significant experience with the work of Revueltas. It is currently practicing a collection of his work for a December performance, which will incorporate visual entertainment and a feel for the Mexican culture.

"'Scenes of Childhood' is an overture to the puppet shows being performed this December," PÇrez-G¢mez said. "We are going to have a company of puppeteers from Mexico coming to UNM. They will put on four puppet shows with different stories and the orchestra will play the accompanying music - compositions by Sylvestre Revueltas."

PÇrez-G¢mez said UNM will continue interacting with Mexican performers next year when an estimated 35 to 40 orchestra members tour Mexico.

"We have been invited to Mexico to play music by Revueltas," PÇrez-G¢mez said. "We will be there in April and tour four different cities including Mexico City."

He said he considers these ventures to be the biggest projects he has embarked on as conductor of the UNM Symphony Orchestra.

"It's such a big thing really," PÇrez-G¢mez said. "No other university in the U.S. is doing interactions like this with Mexico."

Sunday's program will open with faculty pianist Pamela Pyle playing Mozart's "Piano Concerto in D Minor." Winner of the UNM Concert Competition, Aaron Lovato, will follow on saxophone playing "Divertimento" by Roger Boutry.

The UNM Symphony Orchestra will then perform Mozart's "Symphony 25 in G Minor," and conclude the evening with the Revueltas composition.

The performance will not just be another cultural experience, but thanks to PÇrez-G¢mez, a multi-cultural one as well.