Festival highlights fresh music genre

For some music fans the term 'electronic music' evokes memories of dancing to techno mixes at a local nightclub. For others, it refers to an experimental composition form.

Saturday's third annual Oscillation Festival will feature several styles of electronic music, said Kent Wilhelmi of Dark Beat Productions.

"Synthpop, experimental/noise, industrial and techno are 4 of the most prevalent styles at Oscillation this year," Wilhelmi said. "These styles differ dramatically from more accessible, dancefloor-driven pop music to harsh and political noise."

Local groups will showcase the varied styles, including Wilhelmi's project, Random Access Memory. A mass of 16 groups will perform, he said.

Several big name bands are flying the flag for electronic music on the charts, and there are many groups for electronic-music virgins to identify with. Chances are, he said, most music fans have enjoyed this genre without even realizing it.

"Bands like VNV Nation, Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk are typically labeled synthpop," he said. "Merzbow is one my personal favorite noise acts - there really are so many. For industrial, most people will identify Nine Inch Nails and Ministry. Techno is BT, Crystal Method - stuff like that. Electronic music is everywhere."

Bands like these have enjoyed great success with fans nationally, Wilhelmi said, as the popularity of electronic music is on the rise.

"You'll notice that electronic music has become much more prevalent in commercials and films on a national level as well," he said. "What people are hearing in the background of their everyday lives, they're finding on stages in downtown bars now. The cross-pollination of these two elements is really making our genre more accessible, and more interesting, to more mainstream audiences."

And while many groups have benefited from the increased popularity of the genre, many more are unsigned and so far, unheard. This is where the Oscillation Festival steps in.

"One of the aims of Oscillation is to further expose and promote unsigned and unknown artists in the electronic music genre," Wilhelmi said.

The festival, which began in 2001, has in years past created much interest in the electronic-music scene. Attendance has been high, Wilhelmi said, and there is much hope toward the continued popularity of the event.

"Oscillation is probably the most highly attended event of its kind in New Mexico," he said. "Last year we drew well over 300 over two nights. This year we hope to double that."

The festival provides fans with an anthology of their favorite music. For those new to the scene, equal benefit is offered - Oscillation provides an exciting twist to the standard night out.

"I think bar patrons are a little weary of the same guitar-bass-drums-vocals setup of most rock bands," Wilhelmi said. "Electronic acts offer something new."

This year's band list includes: The Echoing Green, Leiahdorus, Ohmiscience, The Blacklight Zebras, Alchemical Burn, N2/Effect, Sidanik, Brian Botkiller, Raine Vivian, Consume Obeybreed, Terrorstate, Vertigo Shock, Enigmatik, Girl Kills Boy and the Exquisite Corpse of Alan George Ledergerber.

The What, When and Where

What: The Oscillation Festival

When: Saturday, 6 p.m.

Price: $10

Where: The Cell Theatre

700 1st St.

Tickets and info: 842-9125

kentifyr@yahoo.com