French adventure awaits students

Those who have ever wanted to study abroad in France, or just want a chance to polish their conversational French, might be interested in going from "Paris to Provence" with UNM's French Department.

For the third consecutive year, this program will send ambitious and adventurous students on a two-week trip through Southern France, including a tour of some of its major landmarks and historical sites.

According to a pamphlet, the program will investigate the influences the Provence region has had on the literature and history of France. It will also incorporate classroom study of important and inspiring events and places as represented in literary and historical texts.

Program Director Stephen Bishop, who is an assistant professor in four languages and the Literature Department, will act as a guide and teacher during the trip, leading students through these areas and conducting lectures and discussions.

Bishop said any student who has taken French 101 and who has the courage to go is eligible. Interested students must be registered at UNM and enrolled for a summer course in either French 335, Comparative Literature 335 or English 335. All lectures will be conducted in English, and students will have the opportunity to stay with French families to exercise their speaking ability.

Bishop said students with either a minimal background of French 101 or those who are fluent in French have gone in the past, and a student's lack of proficiency should not prevent them from participating.

"There's the whole stereotype that if you go to France and try to speak French, the people are going to look at you, spit on you, and say 'stupid American,'" Bishop said. "That's exceptionally not true, especially in Southern France. People are thrilled - even if you've only taken 101 - that you're making an effort."

Bishop said some of the program's major attractions are the excursions to Avignon and La Marseillaise. Students will also attend the renowned Cannes Film Festival, and have a chance to see some of the best independent films from around the world.

Bishop said the major objectives for the course, aside from improving one's French, are to learn about Southern French culture and learn to travel in a foreign country. Bishop also said opportunities like these are important for college students because it gives them a chance to develop new cultural perspectives.

"I think it's important because we don't just live in the United States, we live in a world - we especially don't live just in New Mexico," Bishop said. "It's tough to learn about different practices, customs and cultures - it's difficult to see the ways people look at the world and perform in the world without actually going and seeing those types of things."

Any student interested in the program should attend a meeting Thursday, at 3 p.m. in Ortega Hall, room 323-D. Call Stephen Bishop at 277-6344 for more information.