Peace Corps calls on UNM

Claire Pestak, UNM's latest Peace Corps volunteer, says she will gladly trade the comfort of the United States to lend a hand aiding humanity.

Pestak, who graduated in December with a Bachelor's degree in biology, said she had been interested in the Peace Corps for two years before deciding to apply. She leaves for Honduras on Sunday.

"I've been told it's really hard to get in," Pestak said. "It took about four months from when I started the application process. The hardest part is the anticipation for your assignment, once you get accepted."

She will be working in Honduras for the child survival and HIV/AIDS education program.

"I know I will miss my family and green chile, but I'm excited about making new friends and starting a new chapter in my life," she said.

UNM was named the top recruiting institution for Peace Corps volunteers among New Mexico colleges and universities in January.

Jesus Garcia, a Peace Corps spokesman, said the diversity of student organizations makes the University an ideal place to recruit volunteers.

"The campus has a progressive student body who are global thinkers," Garcia said. "These students care about their fellow man, not just in their neighborhood, but on the other side of the globe. The school's Peace Corps office's numbers rival those of our biggest producer in Texas, the University of Texas at Austin and that says a lot."

In 2003, 25 UNM graduates were placed in countries all over the world for the Peace Corps. More than 250 University alumni have served in the Peace Corps.

Daniel Mendieta, a New Mexico recruiter at UNM, NMSU and St. John's College, said college recruitment is vital to the Peace Corps' success.

"Many students feel that the Peace Corps is a great opportunity to travel, learn and at the same time, make their resumes look more impressive for future employers," Mendieta said.

He said the corps looks for students of various backgrounds with experience in agriculture, forestry and education. Mendieta said recruits must be 18 years old, U.S. citizens, free of dependents and possess a four-year degree or have five years of experience.

"A good candidate for the Peace Corps is somebody with a sense of adventure, a desire to educate and learn and a willingness to serve 27 months," Mendieta said. "Oftentimes, students don't feel their own experience is significant enough to apply toward Peace Corps service. Then in an interview, a recruiter will find out that the applicant has been a Boy or Girl Scout for several years and has dedicated a couple hours a week to tutoring. This is really significant."

He added that recruiters look for more than job or school experience, they look for the "spirit of service."

President John F. Kennedy signed an executive order to create the Peace Corps in 1961.

Since its creation, more than 170,000 Americans have volunteered for service in more than 137 countries, helping develop business, community, environment, health, technology and education projects.