A message beyond the notes

Iraqi musician and composer Rahim AlHaj said no matter what the situation, music is an essential component of life.

On Saturday, locals will have an opportunity to hear the essence of AlHaj's music played with a string quartet.

AlHaj, a self-taught oud player, began playing when he was 9 years-old. The oud is a 5,000-year-old Middle Eastern instrument that dates back to Sumerian civilization and is the grandmother of all string instruments.

The oud has 12 strings, and he described it as a "lute with a belly." He said the oud is very much a part of Middle Eastern culture and everyday life, just as a guitar or a piano is in the west.

In the land of its birth, playing the oud is a way to be closer to and receive protection from God. It is used in religious ceremonies, but is also an element of the public environment in weddings or funerals, AlHaj said.

"The oud functions as a bringer of peace, love and compassion through music," he said. "I am working hard to establish these concepts in everyday life."

Though AlHaj said he strives to not alter the foundations of traditional oud music, his work is partly influenced by non-Eastern rhythms such as the tango and the waltz.

AlHaj does not see Eastern and Western music as two separate entities. He said they are a unifying force that brings communication through music, resulting in a friendship of the two styles.

"There is no difference between Eastern and Western music," he said. "In the big picture, it is all music, and this is what will lead us to express ourselves."

AlHaj is a lifelong advocate of self expression. As an Iraqi under the Hussein regime, he spoke out against the injustice and tyranny of the former dictator. In 1991, he was forced to flee to Jordan and then went to Syria. Four years ago, he came to the United States, because the United Nations designated Albuquerque as a place for him to live.

The experiences of war and exile proved to be important to AlHaj's craft. He said he feels music has a tremendous power to inspire art and love. He is committed to finding a way to communicate these elements through his work, especially with the war in his home country, he said.

As a performer, AlHaj said he is not just playing for entertainment. Rather, he said he must feel the audience.

"I need their eyes and their love, because there is a message beyond the notes," he said. "And just like any artist, I have my own understanding of music and life."

COMING ATTRACTION

Rahim AlHaj:

Music for Oud and

String Quartet

The Outpost Performance Space

210 Yale Blvd.

Saturday at 8 p.m.