Ginny Wilmerding, left, does a skin-fold test to measure Glinda Wyndorf's body fat at the Johnson Center on Wednesday. Wyndorf, assistant of the dean at the College of Fine Arts, joined an eight-week program based on NBC's "The Biggest Loser." The program

UNM to win by losing

TV show inspires faculty, staff to join program and shed pounds

by Christopher Sanchez

Daily Lobo

Shelley Rael is hoping an emulation of a hit television show will be the key to getting UNM faculty and staff members in shape.

The eight-week program is based on NBC's "The Biggest Loser," a show that challenges its contestants to lose weight with a vigorous workout routine and a healthy diet.

Participants pay $25 and will have free reign over their workout schedule, but several nutrition and fitness classes will be offered for contestants free of charge, said Rael, a clinical nutritionist at UNM's Employee Health Promotion Program.

"In essence, the only thing it shows from the television show is the name," she said. "We're not trying to have extreme amounts of weight loss."

Participants will be measured and weighed at the start and end of the program, and a male and female who make the most dramatic changes will be declared the biggest loser.

However, all participants will come out as a winner, Rael said.

"Our thought is everyone will be winners if they lose weight and improve their lifestyles," she said.

Rael hasn't decided what the biggest losers will be awarded, but she said there will be something.

"They will be rewarded for their effort," she said. "If some people think they are only getting a tie-dye shirt, they may not work as hard."

To keep the program interesting, there will be three challenges throughout the eight weeks, including a treasure hunt, a walk and a series of outdoor games.

So far, 80 faculty and staff have signed up for the program, but Rael said she is anticipating about 100 more people to sign up before it begins June 19.

Glinda Wyndorf, assistant of the dean at the College of Fine Arts, said she signed up for the program because she wants to lose 40 pounds this summer. Though it's highly unlikely to lose that much in eight weeks, the program will be a great start, Wyndorf said.

"I used to be an outdoor instructor, and I used to be in shape. Then I got a desk job, and that's when it started," she said.

Wyndorf said she plans on working out six days a week to reach her goal and will motivate herself by keeping in touch with others in the program.

Participants are allowed to create teams, but Wyndorf is going solo because she couldn't find teammates from her office. Maybe next time, she said.

"I'm trying to get people at work to go and be motivated, but they don't. I guess they're the biggest loser," she said.