Cancer survivors applaud during halftime at Wednesday's game at The Pit.

Lobos wear pink to fight cancer

Lobo guard Brandi Kimble said she doesn't like to wear pink, but she was willing to don it Wednesday night to help fight breast cancer.

The team participated in the nationwide Think Pink initiative to raise awareness and money to fight the disease during their game against San Diego State at The Pit.

Players, coaches and game officials wore pink during the game and spectators were encouraged to do the same.

Kimble said the game was one of the Lobos' most important contests this season because of the steep competition on the court and the need to fight cancer.

"No. 1, it's breast cancer awareness. I've lost a few family members to breast cancer," Kimble said. "Then two, this is a really pivotal game for us right now in our season. We need to get this win. San Diego (State) has the same record as us."

Eight of the 13 players on the Lobo roster have a family member who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, according to a press release.

During halftime, UNM Cancer Center officials honored breast cancer survivors and donors who have funded research to fight the disease.

UNM President David Schmidly also got involved by competing in a free-throw shooting contest with former Lobo assistant coach Hazel Tull-Leach.

Donors promised $250 to the cancer center for each shot they made, cancer center spokeswoman Leann Holt said.

The two made 16 free throws, granting $4,000 to the center.

Schmidly said he's no sharp-shooter, but he used use all his dexterity to try to help raise money for a good cause.

"I've only had one day to practice," he said. "Those are the first free throws I've shot in 10 years."

Holt said 120 schools participated in Think Pink last year, but that number has grown to 600 this year.

This is the first year UNM has been involved, but she wants the University to make it an annual event to combat a pressing need in the state, she said.

"Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women," Holt said. "Over 1,100 women in New Mexico will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. It's important that people are aware of how this disease impacts our community."

She said UNM Cancer Center is a world leader in developing new drugs to fight breast cancer and, eventually, a cure.

"Every day we work to find that cure, and we're closer every day," Holt said. "Every step, every new clinical trial that we do with a drug brings us a step closer. We're not stopping, and the war against breast cancer will eventually be won."

Schmidly said the game was a perfect venue to spread information about breast cancer.

"Since it's a women's basketball game, there will be a lot of young women and girls there," he said. "It's a good chance to increase awareness on an important issue."

Lobo center Angela Hartill said the fight against breast cancer is personal for her.

She said it's important to reach out to young women about breast cancer, but the battle against the disease shouldn't stop there.

"My aunt on my mom's side has breast cancer, and she actually just got both her breasts removed," Hartill said. "Breast cancer is a big deal for both men and women. I think it's important that people know that it's such a big threat to pretty much everybody."