Yaya Boom is, from left, Ryan Jarvis, Monica Demarco, Marisa Demarco and Carlos Garcia.

Local band stays true to independent roots

For the past eight years, Ya-Ya Boom has been a staple of the Albuquerque music scene.

The band's CD release party for its latest album, Isn't Pretty, is this Saturday at 10 p.m. at Burt's Tiki Lounge.

Bass player Monica Demarco said the secret to the band's longevity is its love for music.

She said the band's success has come from each member's mutual respect for each other and a respect for the music.

Monica and her sister, vocalist Marisa Demarco, have been band mates since the beginning. Though other members have passed through and made their mark, the sisters have been the force behind the band's sound for about seven years.

"Me and my sister have been playing in a band together since I was 14, and I'm 21, so a pretty long time," Monica said. "Gradually, we have just been changing out members."

Guitarists and drummers may have changed throughout the years, but the mechanics of the band have stayed the same, she said.

Monica said the exchange of melody from one band member to another is the key to the band's musical flow.

"I wouldn't put it in a category, but I would definitely think that each member has a different type of influence that they spend a lot of time with," Monica said.

Along with the sisters are drummer Ryan Jarvis and guitarist Carlos Garcia.

Monica said each band member is involved in the writing process.

"The band goes how it is going to go, and whoever is in the band is going to have a huge say in how the band is going to be," she said.

She said the band was founded on independence from the industry and labels, a liberty that gives Ya-Ya Boom the freedom it needs to explore any genre.

"Which is kind of what we are doing now, so we are on the right track, I think," she said. "I think it allows you to be more creative when you are not so focused on what other people are going to think of your music and you are really just focused on the music. I think that is where you can be the most innovative. I am really pleased with our material because it is a creative as it can be."

Ya-Ya Boom CD release party

Saturday: 10 p.m.

Burt's Tiki Lounge

313 Gold Ave. S.W.

Free