Brothers Pat Hilger, left, and Bob Hilger sit with their dog Maggie on the front porch of their house on Silver Avenue. The Hilgers have the largest McCain-Palin sign in their neighborhood.

Residents show signs of support

As Election Day nears, there's a striking difference in front yards across the country: political signs are growing out of lawns.

The Daily Lobo visited neighborhoods near Nob Hill to talk to residents who advertise their political choices on their property.

One resident, Staci Sieberg, is a counselor at Jefferson Middle School and has a sign for Sen. Barack Obama in her front yard.

Sieberg said she supports Obama in part because she likes the way his campaign was funded.

"One of the first things that interested me was the fact that he wanted to run a campaign from the bottom up, which involved non-special-interest money and non-PAC money," Sieberg said.

Her family has shown its support by donating to the campaign since January, and she said many of her friends are doing the same.

Sieberg said her two elementary school-aged children support Obama's campaign by making signs, wearing T-shirts and attending rallies.

Sieberg said the election is not discussed at her school but that she can tell it's exciting for students.

"(Obama) has engaged kids in a way that I haven't seen a politician do," she said. "Win or lose, I just feel that kids are activated, and that is good for a democracy."

UNM student Avery Bingham said she put a McCain sign in her yard but that it was taken down the night after she put it up.

Bingham said she was upset when she realized her sign had been stolen but that she would still vote for McCain.

"I don't like Obama at all, and I like McCain's point of view on pretty much everything better than Obama," she said.

Her McCain sign was one of few in her neighborhood, and she said that doesn't surprise her.

"They are totally liberal up here, whereas down by New Mexico State, everybody down there is for McCain," Bingham said. "There are definitely more Obama voters now."

Putting a sign in her yard helps show support for McCain and encourages other Republicans to vote for McCain, Bingham said, and having it stolen won't change her mind.

"I'm voting for McCain, and I'm going to vote for him whether I have a sign in my yard or not," Bingham said.

Student J.D. Juerling said campaign lawn signs are abundant in Albuquerque but that he disapproves of the advertising.

"I believe that a political opinion is a private opinion, and I believe people should keep it to themselves," he said. "That doesn't mean you can't go and educate yourself or others, but don't try to mold people's opinions for them."