University, APS agree to coordinate spring breaks

UNM and Albuquerque Public Schools will align their spring breaks in 2010 in an attempt to accommodate employees' needs.

Laurie Mellas, executive director of the UNM Parent Association, said she has been working with APS for four years to align the breaks but that the proposal has not caught on until this year.

"We've had numerous meetings with APS trying to get it aligned," Mellas said. "One of the issues was that the No Child Left Behind testing fell in March, and so there wasn't any way that APS could move their break. And UNM couldn't move their break, because we have eight-week classes, so now the testing window has moved to April."

Faculty Senate President Howard Snell said the issue has been on the minds of APS and UNM employees for nearly 10 years.

"I think, in general, people are supportive. I think it is especially important and beneficial because I think APS is aligning with UNM because there are special requirements for UNM," Snell said. "It would be very awkward for an eight-week to start, have a week of meeting, and then a week-long break and then meet again."

Snell said his only concern for the spring break alignment was that it would disrupt UNM's course structure but that because APS aligned to UNM's break, the structure would not be disrupted.

"That seemed cumbersome, but from what I understand, with the current plan it sounds very workable, and it sounds good for everybody," he said.

Employee Greg Martin has two children at Monte Vista Elementary and said he is glad it will be easier to plan vacations and give him an opportunity to spend more time with his family.

"I have to admit I did not know that it was different, but it makes sense. I suppose we haven't been able to do vacations since they have been different," he said.

Mellas said parents have concerns about not spending time with their children during spring break.

"We did a survey of parents a couple of years ago, and we got hundreds of responses from parents saying, 'Yes, why haven't we done this already?' They brought up the child care issue, not being able to spend time with their children," she said. "It's been a huge issue for people on both sides."

Mellas said the initiative was met with support from faculty members as well as President David Schmidly.

"The president has (signed) a great (Memorandum of Understanding) with APS and CNM, and that really helped us to take it to that next level where everybody could get on the same page," she said.