Consider these tips, Vista users

So Santa got you a new computer, and it runs Windows Vista. To try to minimize the pain and agony many Vista users experience, you may want to consider the following tips:

Remove all unnecessary startup programs by clicking on the Vista orb in the taskbar, going to the start menu, and typing "msconfig" in the search box to launch the system configuration utility. Click on the tab that says "Startup" and uncheck all of the startup items that you don't need. Then click "Apply" and "OK" to confirm your changes, and restart your computer. Note: The Microsoft Vista operating system also runs on Macs in a dual-boot mode.

Use the disk cleanup and disk defragmenter utilities to free up extra space on your hard drive and reorganize what's left behind so the PC runs as efficiently as it can.

Use Windows Update to keep your software up to date. Windows Update is automatically enabled on your Windows Vista system, but you have to manually select the updates you want to install. Note: You should always check for updates and install the recommended updates to keep your computer secure and stable.

If you don't use the Windows sidebar, close it. Closing the sidebar will save some memory and allow you to use that memory for other processes.

Many new computers come with anti-virus software, but most expire after 30 to 60 days. If your computer doesn't have anti-virus software on it, buy it or install the free versions at Clamav.net or Free.avg.com. Hopefully by March, anti-virus software will be available and at no charge for all students, faculty and staff at UNM.

Windows Vista has a ReadyBoost feature that allows you to use the memory on certain USB flash drives to speed up your computer. If you have a USB flash drive, you can enable Windows Vista ReadyBoost on it and use its memory to speed up your computer.

Add a password to your Vista account and use an eight-character password with a combination of letters, numbers and special characters.

If you have a laptop and use Wi-Fi (wireless networking), turn off the Wi-Fi whenever you're not using your notebook. This will save you battery time and allow you to use your laptop for longer periods between recharging. Adjusting the brightness of your screen and muting the volume also saves power. You can also go to Control Panel, select power options and choose the "Power Saver" plan.

If you have questions about computer security or have ideas for future topics, please feel free to contact me at Mcarr@unm.edu.

Mike Carr is UNM's director of information assurance.