'Milk' puts keen eye on challenges to gay rights

Gus Van Sant's latest movie, "Milk," tells the story of Harvey Milk (Sean Penn), one of the first openly gay men elected to office on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors.

The film follows the story from his election to his assassination, going back and forth from Milk talking into his recorder in his home and flashback shots to his life.

Milk was not elected to office on his first attempt and almost gave up on his political career. Van Sant builds a romanticized story around San Francisco's political climate of the '70s. The film focuses more on his political triumphs than his sexual orientation.

It begins with Milk moving from New York to San Francisco and opening a camera shop in the Castro District. He organizes the gay residents in his neighborhood to fight for gay rights and antidiscrimination laws, later seeking endorsements from local businesses.

Accompanying Milk on his journey for equal rights are his lover, Scott Smith (James Franco), and his campaign crony, Cleve Jones (Emile Hirsch). Hirsch draws the viewers in with his enthusiasm and rowdy spirit.

Milk's devotion to his political career takes a suffocating toll on his personal relationships.

His willingness to take serious steps to get his name and cause noticed were fodder for audience excitement. At one point in the movie, he is willing to risk letting a riot start in order to get the attention of his political opponents. His humor and light-heartedness reveal a different breed of politician.

Penn's character is intriguing and warming in how he deals with people and with himself. In several parts of the movie, Penn charms his audience with lines such as, "My name is Harvey Milk, and I want to recruit you," and "All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words."

Dan White (Josh Brolin) is a fellow supervisor on the board and Milk's eventual assassin. White's character is hard to read. His opposition to Milk as a homosexual is apparent, but once on the Supervisor Board together, they appear to be civil.

Other opponents are Senator John Briggs and anti-gay-rights activist Anita Bryant. Their campaign aims at repealing antidiscrimination laws in schools. Milk's determination to fight the repeal was a reminder of the emotional weight of the issue.

Milk uses humor as a weapon: In response to a question from White about whether two men can simulate a family and reproduce, Milk responds with "No, but God knows we keep trying."

"Milk" is successful at investigating the challenges faced by the gay-rights movement. The sheer power of Milk's enthusiasm spread contagiously throughout the movement.

Despite the movie's sad ending, the assassination scene doesn't kill the overall hopeful tone.

Grade: A