Elliot Laurence, aka Ambassador Junior Lion, performs at Cheba Hut on Saturday. Laurence won Reggae Artist of the Year.

Reggae artist spreads love of music

Elliot Laurence, aka Ambassador Junior Lion, said his dream is to spread understanding through reggae music.

Along the way, he happened to pick up the title for Reggae Artist of the Year at the St. Martin Music Awards in 2006 and 2007.

Laurence will perform outside the SUB at noon on Wednesday and at 5 p.m. on Saturday at Cheba Hut.

"Actually, the name Ambassador Junior Lion came from the people," Laurence said. "I used to go by the name Junior Lion, and then they called me ambassador because of the topics that I choose. I speak about the economy. I speak about political affairs. I speak about love. I speak about everything."

Laurence said his tour started in Florida and moved along the East Coast.

"Here in America, we have gotten a lot of love all the way from the East Coast, New York, straight down to Florida, and now I'm touching over here in the Midwest and New Mexico," Laurence said. "This is the first place I have touched down over here on this side, and I want to say I've got a lot of love from people here."

Local DJ Imeh said he met Laurence through a friend. Imeh said the reggae scene in Albuquerque is still growing and that Laurence's shows will boost its popularity.

"It needs a little bit of a push right now, so I'm very glad that his presence is coming to our whole environment," Imeh said. "People are trying to do shows here and there, but we definitely need to try and show that we want this type of music."

Laurence said reggae is becoming more popular as it crosses cultures and gets mixed in with other genres.

"The musical vibe is very lovely. It looks into a variety of music such as hip-hop, R&B and reggae and so forth," Laurence said. "I have been getting a lot of positive response from people so far. We know that Jamaica has set a trend in the reggae music, but now reggae has expanded and is growing."

Laurence said his inspiration to perform reggae music began in his hometown of St. Martin.

"I like to call St. Martin the land of salt and many women, and that is the song I am singing to the world right now," Laurence said. "You know, I'm kind of marketing my island and myself at the same time."

Laurence said his performance at Cheba Hut last Saturday night was a good introduction to Albuquerque.

"It was not a full house of people, but the reception there was very outstanding," Laurence said. "I have no expectations when I go to a show, but I can say there was a lot of love, and I look forward to Cheba Hut again on Saturday and here on Wednesday."

Laurence said he is touring in support of his new album, Stand Firm.

Laurence said he wants to spread the message of his music in the same way his predecessors have.

"Loving life, loving nature and loving music all goes as one for me," Laurence said. "The great pioneer Bob Marley is another legend. He went on a good journey too, and it wasn't easy for him and he stood up there. We as ambassadors of the reggae industry need to do the same."

Ambassador Junior Lion

Wednesday, Noon

Outside the SUB

Saturday, 5 p.m.

Cheba Hut

Both events are free and open to all ages.