President of the Hobbit Society, Megan Abrahamson, speaks during a meeting in the Honors Forum on Tuesday.

Bringing Middle Earth to life at UNM

It was March 25 that all of Middle Earth was set free from the One Ring of power.

In memorial of that, J.R.R. Tolkien fans celebrated international Tolkien Reading Day with UNM Hobbit Society members.

President Megan Abrahamson said the Hobbit Society tabled on campus two weeks ago to celebrate Tolkien Reading Day by reading passages from the author's works out loud to passing students.

"We had the soundtracks for the movie playing and we actually combined a bake sale and sold our T-shirts and calendars that have student artwork on them," she said. "So we turned it kind of into a fundraising thing that was just more fun. We get to be geeky, and people walk by, and they see the Hobbit Society, and they just start laughing. But we have a blast."

At 7 p.m. today, Verlyn Flieger, from the University of Maryland, will give a lecture titled "When Is a Fairy-Story a Faârie Story?" in George Pearl Hall.

"Flieger is a big name in Tolkien studies and comparative literature studies," Abrahamson said. "She is going to talk about Tolkien's essay 'On Fairy Stories.'"

Flieger's lecture is one of many recent events the Hobbit Society has put on.

"This year we started a student colloquium where students can submit papers or presentations on science-fiction and fantasy texts," Abrahamson said. "Which, as far as I know, hasn't happened at UNM before. At least not on this scale."

Flieger will discuss Tolkien's essay about the distinctions between fantasy stories.

"When the essay came out, it changed everyone's outlook on fairy stories and the fantasy genre," Abrahamson said. "Tolkien differentiates between the 'fairy,' where you think of tiny little fairies, and it is very cute, and then 'Faârie,' where that is kind of the land full of fantastical elves and very mysterious and anything but cute."

On Friday at 1:30 p.m., people can meet Flieger and ask questions in the Honors Forum, Abrahamson said.

"Friday, we are having a sort of informal conversation with Dr. Flieger," Abrahamson said. "This one is less of a public thing and more so we can just get her to ourselves."

Wesley Jordan, who attends UNM Hobbit Society meetings, said he was introduced to the society by his wife.

"My wife has been into (this) since before I knew her," Jordan said. "I have always been a fan of sci-fi, so I decided to come, and I just kept coming to them. The group discussions are great, and people being together is nice."

Jordan said he is excited about today's lecture.

"I am interested to see someone who has studied Tolkien and his work extensively," Jordan said. "It will be interesting to see someone who has actually made their life work to study Tolkien's work."

Jordan said he enjoys attending the society's meetings because the camaraderie between group members is strong and the reading is entertaining.

"Not just 'Lord of the Rings' - anything Tolkien and anything sci-fi or fantasy," Jordan said. "Last time I came, they were doing a thing where everyone was reading things about Tolkien readings and comparisons to sci-fi in real life, and that kind inspired me to make the group a new Web site."

Box:

'When is a Fairy-Story a Faârie Story?'

Today

7 p.m.

George Pearl Hall

Free

Conversation with Dr. Flieger

Friday

1:30 p.m.

Honors Forum in the lower level of the Student Health and Counseling building

Free