Javelin thrower achieves uncommon feat at NCAAs

Don't call it beginner's luck.

UNM javelin thrower Anthony Fairbanks has been competing for years. But in his first NCAA appearance, Fairbanks did something that hasn't been accomplished by a men's javelin thrower in more than 30 years.

Fairbanks became the first Lobo to earn All-American honors since Frank Burgasser accomplished the feat in 1967. Fairbanks, who owns a Mountain West Conference record throw of 224-11, garnered All-American honors after finishing in ninth place at the NCAA Championships.

"I told everyone that I was not going to come home unless I finished in the top 10 and became an All-American," Fairbanks said. "So luckily I am able to come home."

Head coach Joe Franklin said Fairbanks has improved throughout the year.

"The past four or five meets, Anthony has been doing really well - being consistent and getting better," Franklin said. "He has always had the potential, and he finally put it all together. I am really proud of his top-10 finish."

Fairbanks said it was just a matter of remaining even-keeled.

"My key was being consistent through the entire week, and it helped me achieve my goal," he said. "I just want to thank all my family and friends for their support, because I will never forget this week for as long as I live."

In the end, five Lobos, including Fairbanks, received All-American honors - a record for UNM.

A year removed from a second-place finish at nationals, Katie Coronado didn't finish in the top 10, coming in 11th place. Still, she was awarded All-American.

"It's disappointing for her (to) finish (like that), but it happens to everyone," Franklin said. "Katie was one of the best athletes I have ever coached. She worked hard in the classroom and on her training. She was a real joy to have around. She may well be one of the best athletes to ever walk through the halls of UNM."

Lee Emanuel, who coasted to a gold-medal finish earlier this year, couldn't match that performance, but he captured bronze with a time of 3:39.66, just .66 seconds out of first place. Emanuel finished two slots behind Oklahoma State's German Fernandez.

"It was a really close finish," Emanuel said. "It feels really good to finish in the top three at any track meet, especially in the NCAA final."

Franklin said the senior had an outstanding season.

"Lee got first place in the indoor 1,500-meter championship race and finished third in the outdoor championship - you can't do much better than that," Franklin said.

Juniors Michelle Corrigan and Chris Barnicle made their NCAA finals debut for the Lobos in the 10,000-meter race. Corrigan and Barnicle pushed hard and finished eighth and 13th, respectively.

"I am really proud of my team this season," Franklin said. "We finished with a record five All-Americans, and almost every athlete finished higher than their seed. I think we really surprised a lot of people and put the UNM track and field team on the map."