Porterie will lead Lobo charge

As surely as Monday would follow Sunday, Donovan Porterie was going to be the UNM football team’s starting quarterback this season.

If anyone doubted it, Porterie proved it throughout fall camp, the coaching staff said on Monday.

Still, Monday’s official announcement was nothing more than a formality, which put to rest speculation about when Mike Locksley would make an announcement — not about whom he would name.

After an extended period of posturing, Locksley declassified the starting quarterback documents, which he had guarded like the Holy Grail.

No matter how many times he was interrogated by reporters, Locksley declined to divulge his “secret” — a secret that was about as common knowledge as water’s compound name.

Several media outlets, including the Daily Lobo, projected Porterie would be the starter, but never received confirmation from the first-year head coach.

In fact, Locksley was so tight-lipped about it, he didn’t even tell Porterie that he was the starting quarterback before making the announcement.

“I really wasn’t told until this afternoon,” Porterie said, adding that he found out from students on campus. “I was still kind of skeptical then. (Locksley) still hasn’t told me.”

Nonetheless, lighthearted Locksley put on a good show at the practice facility on Monday, saying he withheld the starting quarterback information because he was being meticulous.

“As you get to know me, I’m going to take my time and make the right decision on every aspect of the program,” he said. “Sometimes you’re afforded the luxury of a little more time, like we’ve had.”

In the end, that gave Porterie more time to recuperate from last year’s season-ending knee injury.

Porterie is two seasons removed from a 3,000-yard season in which he tossed 15 touchdowns with nine interceptions and under former head coach Rocky Long guided the Lobos to their first bowl win in over 40 years, over Nevada. But last year, Porterie was lost early on, which led to a gloom-and-doom 4-8 year for the Lobos.

Mechanically, Porterie has taken strides, improving his footwork and being more decisive with the ball when there has been pressure in camp. He said he has paid close attention to “setting up the team in the fourth quarter,” meaning being “efficient” and eliminating sacks, interceptions and mental lapses.

Locksley said Porterie exemplified what the coaching staff was looking for in a quarterback.

“He’s graded out the best,” he said. “He’s the guy that’s taken care of the football. He’s the guy that has made the players around him better.”

Whether Porterie was in a close race for starting quarterback or cruised in like Usain Bolt in the Olympics is still under wraps.

“Whether it was close or (not), that doesn’t matter,” Locksley said. “A decision was made. There was a process in place to make the decision. Donovan came out as the guy that was most consistent.”

So, perhaps that’s a question only time will answer – say, if Porterie doesn’t perform on the field.

For now, Locksley said Porterie has plenty of leeway.

“Donovan has our full support as our starting quarterback, as long as he goes out and does the things we know he’s capable of,” he said. “Then we don’t even have to talk about a leash.”

And that’s the last thing Porterie wants to discuss. He’s content knowing he’s the Lobos’ guy, and he’s ready to put last year’s emotional hurdle behind him, in hopes of a better season this time around.

“Just being gone from the team, you kind of become a ghost in the locker room,”
Porterie said. “That’s one of the worst things about a season-ending injury. It’s like you’re not there no more. Your teammates still respect you, but when you’re hurt you’re not putting up numbers or making plays for them to win on Saturday. It’s not like I could look into those guys’ eyes in the huddle.”

Now he can, because he’s made it back from the depths of his mental catacombs.
“I’m a living testimony that you can do it,” he said.